VC at the college where she teaches
Another question I’m asked a lot is “Did you always want to be a writer?”
The quick answer to that question is a resounding NO. I never even thought of being a writer. I’ve always been an avid reader. True story: when I was very young (probably 10), my mom had to go to the the library so she could sign a special form. The special form allowed me into the ADULT section. I’d already read all of the books in the children’s section.
When I went back to school for my college degree at the ripe-old-age of 34 Continue reading
VC at Essenhaus in Middlebury, IN
One of the most frequent questions I’m asked is WHY AMISH? It’s a pretty specialized genre, so why write Amish books? The question always makes me laugh, because if you’d asked me 10 years ago, I would have never guessed that I would have Continue reading
Texas is a big state. We have mountains, desert, forests, hill country, plains, and beaches! Hubby and I recently spent a few days at the Texas coast with his family. Yes, it was hot! But it was a nice time of relaxing and recharging. I thought I’d share a few facts with you about Texas beaches.
- Padre Island is the world’s largest barrier island–more than 200 square miles.
- There are several lighthouses to visit including Port Isabel and Lydia Ann. You can see the entire list here.
- Sea turtle rescue is a big thing on Padre Island.
- The Texas State Aquarium is right across the bay in Corpus Christi.
- You can also visit the USS Lexington which is now a floating museum.
- Moody Gardens are located in Galveston, which is only 60 miles south of Houston.
- Both Galveston and Port Aransas have been hit by hurricanes in recent years. Hurricane Harvey hit Port A in 2017 and Hurricane Ike hit Galveston in 2008. Galveston was also the site of the deadliest hurricane in US history which made landfall in 1900 and killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people.
So while you might not want to visit the Texas coast during hurricane season, it is a nice spot the rest of the year. I think you’ll find the people friendly, the food delicious, and the views spectacular. What about you? What’s your favorite spot to visit in your state? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive an autographed book from yours truly. Last week’s winner was Judy S. (Judy, you should have received an email from me today.)
Announcements for this week
- Paperback copies of Sarah’s Orphans and Joshua’s Mission are available in my online store for only $6 (which includes an autograph and free shipping). This special is good through 7-24.
- The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is releasing in 3 weeks. You can preorder at BN and Apple and Amazon. Pre-order price is 99c for 16 awesome inspirational romantic suspense novellas. These are all original stories.
- I’ll be in Shipshewana in August and signing books at the Empress Room in the Blue Gate Inn on Friday, August 2 from 12:30-4:30. Some fantastic authors of Amish fiction are going to be joining me, so if you’re in the area please do stop by!
There’s nothing wrong with shopping, of course. In fact, if you have the urge, feel free to purchase my new release, A Perfect Amish Match. It’s available in ebook and print. (You can find it at most Walmart stores as well as online retailers).
Some of you might remember that I decided to try a shopping ban for 2019, so I thought I’d update you on how it’s going. So far, so good. Of course I still purchase consumables (food, paper goods, etc.). For me, I found that my biggest tempations were books (surprise), fabric for quilting, yarn for knitting, and clothes! Those are my big 4. Apparently today is day 104, and to tell you the truth I think Continue reading
As I writer, I keep a pretty detailed calendar. Some of things I need to keep an eye on are:
- Project due dates
- Book release dates
- Book signings and book talks
- Family vacations (that one is super important)
I try to be realistic about my schedule. After all, we each only get 24 hours a day and some of that really does need to be spent sleeping. I’m a real believer in calendars. “Stick to the calendar,” I say as I stumble toward my desk with a cup of coffee. But one fun thing about being a writer is Continue reading
Just a short blog today. I wanted to wish you a very merry Christmas. Also I wanted to thank you for allowing me into your mailbox this year. You are more of a encouragement to me than you can possibly imagine. Writing is an awesome gig, but it’s also a solitary pursuit, and you each help to make that journey more Continue reading
Who the Bishop Knows will officially release on March 6, so today I thought I’d share with you what happens when a book releases. There was a time when a book release meant a flurry of signings at bookstores and possibly a book tour. Times have changed though, and in our virtually oriented world, book releases look Continue reading
Leo watches over me as I write.
Sometimes people think that because you work at home, you’re not busy. Nothing could be farther from the truth! I’ve worked in offices, schools, and at home. It’s all fun, and it’s all hard work. But being an author is different from Continue reading
How’s everyone doing? I hope you’re enjoying these blogs (and Vlogs) from my back porch. Actually, today’s is from my office, but the point is to have an informal, laid-back conversation between us. I loved your comments and very much enjoyed reading about your fav flowers on last week’s post!
This week I wanted to give you a little tour of my office. (If you’re receiving this blog via email, you probably have to click on the title and go to my sight to see the video.)
My office was actually my son’s bedroom until I told him I needed it. He moved out to an apartment and the rest is history! It’s a small room, as you’ll see in the video, probably 10 feet by 10 feet. Kind of plain and simple, but it works for me. What about you? Do you have a special place in your house where you work or craft? For a while, mine was the dining room table! Leave a comment describing YOUR SPOT, and we’ll pull a winner for a free book. (Last week’s winner was Kimberly T.)
Announcements for this week:
- Shelley Shepard Gray and I will be meting for our Girlfriends Getaway in Charm, OH. If you’re going, I’m looking forward to meeting you! If you can’t come–we’ll be having on-line prizes for those who follow us on Facebook and twitter.
- Deep Shadows is now available for pre-order. This is the first book in my new dystopian series. Don’t know what dystopian is? Read my blog post at the Diamond Mind of Christian Fiction. You can now pre-order Deep Shadows. All vendors offer a pre-order price guarantee, so if the price goes down before the item is released, you receive the lower price. **Amazon ** B&N ** CBD.
- My May rafflectopter giveaway is live through 6-22, and it’s easy to enter daily. Check here for details. This month’s giveaway includes something I picked up in Shipshewana, a $10 Starbucks card and more!
Time to turn off the computer and head to the back porch. Bob’s waiting for me with both dogs. I hope you enjoyed today’s video, and I’d love to hear about YOUR fav spot. Leave a comment on the blog, and I’ll draw a winner to receive a complimentary copy of the book of your choice from my book list.
I’m writing today’s blog from the back porch. In Texas, the back porch is where important things happen–it’s where we sip sweet tea, watch the dear, talk to family, and meet with friends. It’s where we go when we need quiet time, devotional time, prayer time. My husband pointed out that we don’t technically have a back porch. We have a back deck, but it’s the same thing in my opinion. My video starts in the back yard and ends up at the deck, where I do my sitting, resting, praying, even working.
Announcements for this week:
- An Amish Cradle is $1.99 (ebook only) May 2nd-May 8th. ** Amazon ** B&N ** CBD
- Shelley Shepard Gray and I are finalizing plans for our Girlfriends Getaway in Charm, OH. If you’re interested in attending, but haven’t made your reservation, email Laurie at Laurie4ssg@gmail.com.
- Deep Shadows is now available for pre-order. This is the first book in my new dystopian series. Don’t know what dystopian is? Read the blurb for Deep Shadows here. For Amazon, the pre-order price is guaranteed, so if the price goes down before the item is released, you receive the lower price. **Amazon ** B&N ** CBD.
- My May rafflectopter giveaway is now live. Check here for details. This week’s giveaway includes something I picked up in Shipshewana, a $10 Starbucks card and more!
Time to close down the computer and just enjoy sitting on the back porch. I hope you enjoyed today’s video, and I’d love to hear about YOUR back porch, or wherever you go to relax. Leave a comment on the blog, and I’ll draw a winner to receive a complimentary copy of the book of your choice from my book list.