A New Normal

Christian fiction, Christian living, New Release, Novellas Comments: 16

It’s a little hard to believe that it’s only been 3 weeks since local and national government began issuing “shelter-in-place” orders, stores changed hours or closed, and many churches switched to on-line services. Wow. A lot has happened in 3 weeks.

And so now it seems we have a new normal. For me that means:

• shopping only once every 2 weeks, with a very carefully written out list
  • learning to trim my own bangs
  • socializing via Facetime and Zoom and texts
  • staying home the vast majority of the time
  • crafting and reading and doing jigsaw puzzles
  • taking my mom for car rides when she gets restless
  • digging down to find enough focus to write (I have a new release today–details below)

And reading the news–I probably do that too much, but always I do it with an eye toward the fact that God hasn’t forgotten us, He’s still in control, His love knows no bounds. Can I get an amen? So tell me, what’s your new normal? I’d love to hear from you.

Announcements for this week

• I have a new release–Daybreak. This is novella #3 in my Cyber series. They can easily be read as standalone stories. I’ll have information on a paperback version after book 4 (High Noon) releases this summer.
  • I’m participating in a 99c Mystery/Thriller cross promotion of 25 cozy mysteries. View the entire list of books here. Note, these are not all Christian books, though my book–Roswell’s Secret is a clean and wholesome suspense read.
  • I’ve reduced the price of 8 of my indies (including my latest Amish mystery, Dead Wrong) to 99c. You can see details and links here.

16 thoughts on “A New Normal

1. Judy Smith

Other than being home, and unable to get my nails done and a hair cut, my new normal isn’t that much different than the old one. Bible reading, exercise (which at present is walking outside each morning) reading and sewing donation quilts have made up my days for years and continue to do so. I do miss working with others in local quilt groups and being with/hugging my family!!!! God willing, we will all be able to do that once again but He will give us strength to carry on if not.

Yup. I’m missing those hugs from my church family – and my regular family too. Thank you for sewing for charity, Judy. That’s awesome.

2. Lisa

Thank you for your discount offers! So many people are out of work right now (myself included). Much of my new normal includes planting seeds (I get such a kick out of seeing the seedlings sprout), working in a new garden, walking around the neighborhood and getting in touch with old friends. Seeing my family only via FaceTime or Houseparty is hard, but I’m keeping in touch more often with people now, which is nice. This situation actually reminds me of your Remnant series….

I’m gardening too, Lisa. It’s such a small thing, but I’m proud with each new bud on those plants. I find myself texting friends more often as well, just to check in on them. And yeah, reminds me of Deep Shadows, especially when I’m waiting in line to be allowed in the grocery store. Ripped straight from the pages.

3. Debbie Earls

I am still open with my store. We sell horse products and equipment, are on our own property, have less than 10 people here at a time and are agriculture. We are sanitizing between customers. We have been watching our preacher preach his sermons on Facebook each week. Going to the grocery once a week. I have been cooking a lot more which I am enjoying since I have more time to do it. I know that God’s got this and He is in control. Just trying to take it one day at a time. When I start to feel anxious, I pray more. I am limiting how much news I watch. I really feel like God is trying to get everyone’s attention. We need to learn from this and not go back to “normal”. Our old “normal” wasn’t working. Thank you for continuing to write your great books!

Debbie, it sounds like you are adjusting just fine. That’s such a good idea to limit how much news we watch. It’s a balance between being informed and seeing the same information over and over again. Blessings and you’re welcome–thank you for reading!

4. Liz Whelan

I understand what you’re going through Vannetta. I live in NY & it’s really bad here. I’ve been in my apartment going into the 4th week. I read a lot, clean, color, paint by number, read a lot(lol). This is such a sad thing happening in Our Country. We just have to pray & remember God is watching over us everyday. I have a couple friends with the virus & hoping all will be okay with them. Stay Strong & Stay Safe. Sincerely, Liz Whelan.

Hi Liz. The rest of the country is keeping NY in our hearts and prayers. Keep the faith, my friend. This too will pass, and when it does…we are going to rejoice and sing and dance and go for pie and coffee–probably all at once.

5. beth

Amen!
    I’m not sure what my new normal is yet. I’m cooking more but I got a home freeze dryer just after Christmas. I am having fun making my own freeze dried meals and treats. If I start to feel anxious I remember God is bigger than this and He is in control. I started some seeds in February and they are doing well. Vannetta, I need a lesson on well and good. …
    I’m enjoying the wildflowers popping up all over too. It’s so green.
    I think we will be better people when this has cleared out. I miss my family and friends fiercely and my church family.
    God bless you all!❣️

Beth, you made me laugh. My dad used to say, “Good is something you eat.” I can still hear him correcting me. He was a real hoot, though quite serious about grammatical things. lol.

6. Deb Simmering

My new normal is helping with the housekeeping duties since our housekeeper got laid off. We have 3 floors to do, but we split it up and work together to get it done. I am also making masks for people who need them.When I have time I love to read.

Since I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis, I’ve struggled with cleaning. (Well, I’ve always struggled, but now I have a reason.) Lately I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to clean in 15 minute bursts. And not too many of those a day. Otherwise I have pretty excessive pain. Thank you for sewing for others, Deb. That’s a kind thing to do.

7. Liz Whelan

Yes, we will Vannetta. Coffee, Pie, Dancing & Singing. We’re all hanging in there–Together!! NY Strong!! Thank You Vannetta

8. Alison DeVito

My new normal here in NJ is reading all those books I’ve been meaning to read – I just bought Dead Wrong – thank you for the special pricing – taking lots of walks, decluttering (yikes!) and yes, being challenged by food shopping in bulk and meal planning for 2 weeks at a time. I did discover a wonderful priest who is located about a 1/2 hour away, as church is attended on YouTube now. A silver lining to all this craziness! Take Care!

Hi Allison. I hope you enjoyed Dead Wrong. As far as food shopping in bulk, it’s wearing me out! lol. I’m fortunate to have a very good grocery store that is being super careful.