Deciding to Be a Writer

Author life, The Writing Life Comments: 15

VC at the college where she teaches

Another question I’m asked a lot is “Did you always want to be a writer?”

The quick answer to that question is a resounding NO. I never even thought of being a writer. I’ve always been an avid reader. True story: when I was very young (probably 10), my mom had to go to the the library so she could sign a special form. The special form allowed me into the ADULT section. I’d already read all of the books in the children’s section.

When I went back to school for my college degree at the ripe-old-age of 34, I wanted to be a teacher. I love teaching. I’ve taught in middle schools, high schools, private universities, and public universities. I’ve taught Reading and English. I still teach two mornings a week at my local community college.

In the middle of my teaching career, I landed at a very difficult high school. Frankly, I was miserable. I stayed there for 5 years, and then I knew I needed to make a change. It occurred to me that there was only one other thing I knew a lot about–books. I’d read plenty. Maybe I could write one. The funny thing is that the 9th book I wrote was the first book picked up by a publisher. Some people call me stubborn.

What about you? Have you ever wanted to write a book? Or do you simply love reading them? I’d love to hear from you. And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the comment section.

Vannetta

Announcements for this week

• Amish Christmas Matchmaker is now available in stores! Look for it at your local Walmart or order on-line. The ebook will be available October 1.
  • I have new items in my VC Boutique Store, including dish cloths, fall hats, and a new afghan. Check it out here.
  • Dead Wrong, my new Amish cozy mystery, is now available for pre-order. It will release on November 5th, and yes–it will be available at all retailers in both print and ebook.

15 thoughts on “Deciding to Be a Writer

1. mimionlife

I love writing. My first children’s book, “Licky the Lizard”, released in 2018. I write my blog, 3 other blogs, articles, devotions and more. Yes, I love writing and reading. 🙂

Congratulations on your book. That is very exciting, and thank you for writing quality books for our children.

2. faithfamilyandstorybyjanereid

I’m so glad you decided to try writing a book. You are one of my favorite authors. Your writing journey is encouraging. I’ve written 3 middle grade novels and a bunch of picture book texts with no takers–yet. Evidently I need to write another 6 novels before I find a publisher. Thank you for your work! It is always thought provoking and offers more than just a good story.

Thank you so much. Please do push on. Those books you’ve written will bless someone. Be patient and keep writing. It’s worth it, IMO.

3. Anne Rightler

I’m definitely a reader only! I’ve never even given a thought about becoming a writer. Altho, I must admit in college, I’d much rather have written a paper than take an exam! You keep on writing stories for us readers, Vannetta!

Hi Anne. Yes, I always preferred essay exams to objective. lol. That’s the writer/reader in us!

4. Marilyn

I’ve always been an avid reader. I have plots in my head for books, but not sure they’ll ever be written. I have written poetry that have been displayed at an university library.

Marilyn, I think it takes a special kind of brain to be able to write a poem – you have to say so much in such a little space. Congratulations on your poetry!

5. Sheshanah Smith

I’m currently pre-published, working on the fourth book in a series I started. I love writing, but it at first it was just for fun or as a way to relax. Now that I’ve finished a couple stories, I have the bug and definitely want to do it forever. And it’s still fun 🙂

Hi Sheshanah. Congratulations on finishing 3 books. That’s quite an accomplishment. I’m so glad you’re having fun with it, and I will pray for you and your publishing journey.

6. Janet Richey

I have wanted to be a writer pretty much my whole life. Recently God has opened my calendar a smidge and I given me time to submit short essays to a Christian writing contest. The word “book” is too overwhelming at this early stage, so I am just writing as God prompts me to. Not exactly sure where this journey is taking me just yet. I love your books, and seeing your cute smile on my Facebook newsfeed!

Hi Janet. How wonderful that you are writing essays. That’s actually how I started – little slice of life pieces. I wasn’t at all interested in writing a book at first. Congratulations on pursuing something dear to your heart, and I will pray for you and your writing journey.