Amish gardens

Amish facts/history, Amish view, Gardening Comments: 16

Today I thought we’d talk about Amish gardens. Raise your hand if you’ve seen one.

I live in Texas, so I’m well acquainted with gardens. My husband’s Uncle Joe had a very large vegetable garden even after he’d gone blind. Uncle Joe was pretty amazing. So I thought I knew what to expect from Amish gardens. Ha! I was wrong.

1. Amish gardens are big because they try to grow as many veggies as possible to provide for their large families.
  2. Amish gardens are also rather old-fashioned. For instance, look at the picture above with the gas tank in the bottom right-hand corner. I remember my grandma telling me that adding anything rusty to your garden puts iron back in the soil. Have you ever heard that?
  3. Amish gardens are natural, and by that I mean that they’d rather not use costly pesticides. Instead they’ll do things like plant marigolds next to vegetables to ward off insects.
  4. Some Amish gardens are for Englischers. Aren’t the quilt garden pictures above fun? You can find these through Shipshewana, and they’re wonderful to visit.
  5. Occasionally you’ll find a memory garden. The top right picture is one of my favorites. See the wooden marker? What a lovely way for this family to remember a loved one.

Amish are known for their large and beautiful gardens. Of course this is in addition to the crops they grow. What about you? Have you seen any Amish gardens? Do you have a garden? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive an autographed book from yours truly. Last week’s winner was Kimberly K. (Kimberly, you should have received an email from me today.)

VC

Announcements for this week

• I have 2 summer specials in my VC Boutique Store and you’ll see some new spring items.  I hope you’ll check it out!
  • The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is now with our editor. You can preorder at BN and Apple and Amazon. Pre-order price is 99c for 16 awesome inspirational romantic suspense novellas. These are all original stories.
  • I’ll be in Shipshewana the week of August 1-4. Mark your calendars in you’re in the area. I’ll post more soon about when and where we’ll be having our book signing. Lots of Amish authors are attending, so this should be a fun event.

16 thoughts on “Amish gardens

1. Ramona Dahl

I haven’t seen an Amish garden, those pictures are lovely.
    My garden is two tomato and one green pepper plant.
    They aren’t fruiting. If I move them into the sun the deer will get them. I wonder what the Amish do to fend off deer?

That’s a good question, Ramona. The deer in the Amish communities I’ve been too are more wild than our deer here in central Texas. There’s a lot for them to browse on. When I’ve asked, the Amish have said “It’s not a problem.”

2. Janie K

My husband would go to a scrap yard and buy buckets of iron filings to put around our trees. My Mother was a hairdresser and one of her clients who raised trees would take home the cut hair and tie it up in net and tie to the trees to keep the deer away. Have been to Shipshewana and saw some quilt gardens. The flowers everywhere were beautiful!

3. Diana Foust

We have seen the quilt gardens in Shipshewana and Middlebury. Sometime I’d like to do the whole tour. They are lovely and so much work goes into them.

4. Linda McFarland

I live close to Lancaster Co., PA and have seen lots of Amish gardens, plus I stop at Amish roadside stands. The gardens are so pretty, even the fields are laid out like a quilt! Very pretty!

5. mimionlife

My sister and brother-in-law lived in Middlebury Indiana. I loved visiting them. From the food to the kindness of the people, Middlebury was a wonderful place.

6. Gail Hollingsworth

I recently had the privilege of visiting Lancaster, Bird in Hand and Paradise PA. I saw many vegetable and beautiful flower gardens. In Alabama we don’t have enough rain and sweltering hot summers to grow much either veggies or flowers. I was very impressed with how green and beautiful everything was.

7. Judy Sheridan Smith

I commented on the Quilt Garden page but will add here that I wish we could be in Shipshe in August. Usually we don’t travel until early fall so our timing is off to meet you. I’ll finish reading A Perfect Amish Match before going to bed tonight as it is so enjoyable! Always look forward to reading your books!

8. Marilyn R

Thank you for sharing the pictures of Amish Gardens. I enjoy seeing various Amish Gardens when I visit our local Amish community. I’ve been blessed by some of their produce, too.
    Shipshewana is going to be a fun adventure.

9. Lori Smanski

Good morning. Happy summer. These are such pretty pictures. I have seen a lot of gardens in the Shipshewana area. I love thier quilt gardens. And it is always fun to see their veggie gardens. Yes we have a garden, LOL no where near their sizes though. We have both veggies and flowers and butterfly gardens.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

10. Ellie

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Amish garden. I may have driven by one and not known what it was. We do have a small garden – double fenced to keep out the rabbits!

11. Terri Schmidt

I live near Lancaster County PA and I love driving by the Amish homes to see their gardens which are practically weed free! And I love that they include the little ones to help out in the gardens, too.