What’s Wrong With Shopping

Love Inspired Books, New Release, The Writing Life Comments: 32

There’s nothing wrong with shopping, of course. In fact, if you have the urge, feel free to purchase my new release, A Perfect Amish Match. It’s available in ebook and print. (You can find it at most Walmart stores as well as online retailers).

Some of you might remember that I decided to try a shopping ban for 2019, so I thought I’d update you on how it’s going. So far, so good. Of course I still purchase consumables (food, paper goods, etc.). For me, I found that my biggest tempations were books (surprise), fabric for quilting, yarn for knitting, and clothes! Those are my big 4. Apparently today is day 104, and to tell you the truth I think I’ve become used to not shopping. I wasn’t a huge shopper before, but my hobby room was too full, my clothes closet was too full, and my TBR was dangerously high. There have been a few results that I didn’t expect from this experiment:

1. I have more time on my hands. Again, I wasn’t THAT big of a shopper before, but now I don’t even need to go in and browse. It’s freed up a surprising amount of time.
  2. The urge to shop has left. I don’t check the front porch for Amazon boxes anymore.
  3. I’ve started recycling everything that can be recycled. I’m even pouring coffee grounds on rose bushes. I’m not really sure why not shopping has caused me to recycle.
  4. I think twice before throwing something away. Several times I’ve gone to toss something in the trash, and then realized that it actually works just fine. No need to buy something new!

And just in case you’re wondering, yes my credit card bill has gone down. (Husband smiles.) Now it might seem hypocritical for me to tell you about my shopping ban and in the same breath tell you about my new book. I’ll be honest–I’d love you to buy my book. But the truth is that if we all used our libraries more, authors would have a pretty steady income. Currently I’m checking out ebooks like crazy from my library, and the authors are paid for every license my library purchases. So if you’re thinking about a shopping ban, stop by your library and ask them to carry my books. And if you have no desire to give up shopping (good for you), all of my books are available at your fav on-line retailer.

What about you? Do you have a shopping habit? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive an autographed book from yours truly. Last week’s winner was Lib1Lady (Janet, you should have received an email from me today.)

VC

Announcements for this week

• Visit my VC Boutique Store and you’ll see some new items perfect for Mother’s Day. These would make great Mother’s day gifts.  I hope you’ll check it out!
  • The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is coming along nicely. You can preorder now at BN and Apple, and it will be available on Amazon soon.
  • Are you signed up for my newsletter? Some fun announcements are coming soon, so be sure and sign up.
  • All 3 books in my Pebble Creek series are currently on sale in ebook format. Prices are $2.99. Details here.

32 thoughts on “What’s Wrong With Shopping

1. Anne L. Rightler

I probably shop too much. Mostly online though! This last year I’ve done a lot of purging though. If I get a new mug or piece of clothing I donate at least one. Salvation Army has gotten a lot of boxes this year. I keep one in my laundry room and it fills pretty quickly.

That method has worked pretty well for me too–buy a blouse, donate a blouse. 🙂

2. Valorie Smith

I am guilty of shopping for the future…and then never giving it… we are starting to downsize and so far six large boxes of goods donated to The Salvation Army… from just one room!!!!! My hubby is good at reminding me that I no longer shop for the future!!!!

Oh, I was a big future shopper. lol. And yes, I’m taking stuff to Goodwill and SA. It’s nice to know that someone can use the stuff I am not using.

3. Ellie

I’m not a big shopper, however I did just pick up A Perfect Amish Match at Barnes & Noble – it was on the shelf and I didn’t even need to special order! The results of your lack of shopping are interesting.

4. Linda McFarland

I’m not a big shopper, just a splurge every once in awhile, my problem is purging. If it has sentimental value it’s hard to let go!

Hi Linda. I know what you mean. My son is 31, and I still have a hard time getting rid of his school stuff!

5. Gail Hollingsworth

I do more shopping online now than ever before, especially books. Our Lifeway is closing and B & N is all that’s left. I’m a sucker for coupons and I’ll go out anytime and shop if I have a good coupon.

I just hate all the bookstores closing, but I tell myself it’s not that we’re reading less–only differently.

6. Brenda Murphree

I do at least 99% of my shopping online except groceries. I have found out that if I send a list with my husband to Walmart he can go by the list and we spend Much less than when I go and just buy. I have been disabled since 2012 and my husband retired this past December because of his health. He has cancer. So guess what? I made a budget like I used to when my kids were home and we try to stick close to it. Not much extra money when you retire early and you don’t get overtime money from working. Cobra insurance is not cheap either. So tithes and insurance comes out first thing.

I will be praying for both you and your husband. Isn’t it funny how we go back to what worked before? I’ve found myself using ENVELOPES again…which is something I did when I was newly married.

7. Angelique Daley

I like shopping! My shopping habits have changed dramatically in the last two years. I never was a huge shopper nor did I buy expensive clothing or household items. But with my husband losing his job and having a very difficult time getting work, all shopping ceased. Fortunately I work at my library and borrow most of my books! I shop in thrift stores for some of my clothing. Occasionally I will browse but it is easier to not even bother!

Thirft stores are the new IN-THING! I guess they’ve always been popular. 🙂

8. Debbie Earls

My biggest thing that I shop for are books. I do enjoy reading. I read every day.It’s my favorite hobby. Do I have too many books? Sure I do! I have enough for my own library. But I could be spending my money on things that don’t bring my enjoyment and I can’t pass on to other people so they can enjoy them either by lending them or selling them to a used book store. Enjoy reading your books. Thank you.

9. Pamela Bain

I must admit to shopping more than I should since I have retired and the income is lower, that being said I don’t shop as much as before retirement. Oh yeah, I have already purchased A Perfect Amish Match.

10. RobbyeFaye

I’ve always hated ANY kind of shopping (except books, of course!). I think it comes from my Mom wanting to live in a store! We went to every store she could visit in a day and still have time to get Dad dinner. Then, after dinner we went again! I hated it! Plus, a lot of times she’d make the 4 of us kids stay in the hot, hot car for hours while she shopped!
    So, in answer to your question, I only shop when it’s a necessity! I’ve saved a lot of money over the years!
    I’m starting to pick up things online; we’ll have to wait and see if that’s a good or bad thing, LOL!

Hi Robbye. Isn’t that funny how something from our childhood can still affect us? I know what you mean. My dad LOVED yard sales and flea markets. To this day, I’m not interested…

11. Tiffany Hall

Oh man! I love to shop! Books, clothes, and shoes are my weakness! I don’t shop a lot, and probably buy books most. I didn’t realize you could ask your local library to carry ebooks through your library. That is really good to know!

Hi Tiffany. I love my library’s ebook program. This way I can use my library without leaving the house. lol. Also, I tend to “want” a new book around 9 pm, when the library is usually closed.

12. joyfulco

I do not really enjoy shopping, so it is not a big temptation for me. There are a few things that I buy regularly, such as groceries, plants in the spring and summer since I have a large garden, and of course, books, all year long. Other than those things, I only go shopping when absolutely necessary. I hate clothing shopping, because I can seldom find things I like.

Hi Joyful. Sometimes when I go clothes shopping (which hasn’t happened yet this year), I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of options. I recently tried Stitch Fix where they send you a box of clothes, and I liked it! (Which did NOT go against my shopping ban because it was my husband’s birthday present to me. hahaha)

13. Helen Curtis

My biggiies are craft show (thankfully only a few a year) and online craft shopping, which I should ban myself from. I am a library groupie and live in a town with the worlds best library and librarians – Versailles Ky.

Hi Helen. I do love craft shows, and I always come away with more fabric! I haven’t been to one this year, and the good news is that I’m using some of that fabric I bought last year. lol. Thanks for commenting.

14. Lori Smanski

Congratulations on your new release. I have been finding myself doing a lot of the same things. Hmm that can be recycled, etc.
    For my house plants I even found this: Take the eggshells you have used (dont wash) Save one container for just the shells. Put the shells back into the fridge to keep cold. You want the inside of the shell the most. Put about 4 full shells in a gallon container. Put in water. Let sit until room temperature. Plants really prefer room temp. water. Water you plants. Natural fertilizer.
    NOW to be honest I am only in the stage of letting it sit to room temp. so I have no idea how this works yet.
    Have a lovely week

Hey, Lori. I’ve heard of the egg shell thing, but I haven’t tried it. Thanks for the tip!