There’s nothing wrong with shopping, of course. In fact, if you have the urge, feel free to purchase my new release, A Perfect Amish Match. It’s available in ebook and print. (You can find it at most Walmart stores as well as online retailers).
Some of you might remember that I decided to try a shopping ban for 2019, so I thought I’d update you on how it’s going. So far, so good. Of course I still purchase consumables (food, paper goods, etc.). For me, I found that my biggest tempations were books (surprise), fabric for quilting, yarn for knitting, and clothes! Those are my big 4. Apparently today is day 104, and to tell you the truth I think I’ve become used to not shopping. I wasn’t a huge shopper before, but my hobby room was too full, my clothes closet was too full, and my TBR was dangerously high. There have been a few results that I didn’t expect from this experiment:
- I have more time on my hands. Again, I wasn’t THAT big of a shopper before, but now I don’t even need to go in and browse. It’s freed up a surprising amount of time.
- The urge to shop has left. I don’t check the front porch for Amazon boxes anymore.
- I’ve started recycling everything that can be recycled. I’m even pouring coffee grounds on rose bushes. I’m not really sure why not shopping has caused me to recycle.
- I think twice before throwing something away. Several times I’ve gone to toss something in the trash, and then realized that it actually works just fine. No need to buy something new!
And just in case you’re wondering, yes my credit card bill has gone down. (Husband smiles.) Now it might seem hypocritical for me to tell you about my shopping ban and in the same breath tell you about my new book. I’ll be honest–I’d love you to buy my book. But the truth is that if we all used our libraries more, authors would have a pretty steady income. Currently I’m checking out ebooks like crazy from my library, and the authors are paid for every license my library purchases. So if you’re thinking about a shopping ban, stop by your library and ask them to carry my books. And if you have no desire to give up shopping (good for you), all of my books are available at your fav on-line retailer.
What about you? Do you have a shopping habit? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive an autographed book from yours truly. Last week’s winner was Lib1Lady (Janet, you should have received an email from me today.)
Announcements for this week
- Visit my VC Boutique Store and you’ll see some new items perfect for Mother’s Day. These would make great Mother’s day gifts. I hope you’ll check it out!
- The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is coming along nicely. You can preorder now at BN and Apple, and it will be available on Amazon soon.
- Are you signed up for my newsletter? Some fun announcements are coming soon, so be sure and sign up.
- All 3 books in my Pebble Creek series are currently on sale in ebook format. Prices are $2.99. Details here.