Bookstores

Christian fiction, Love Inspired Books, Special Sale Price Comments: 26

Anyone else remember bookstores? I’ll bet you do. When I was a child, it was one of my favorite places to go (second to the library), and when I was an adult it was my favorite date place. Yup. Lots of people went on dates at bookstores. Right?

As we all know, there are fewer bookstores every day. I try to tell myself that it’s the same thing as the disappearance of movie stores. Who needs a movie store? We can stream movies! Who needs a bookstore? We can download books! I get it, but you know…it still makes me a little sad.

One of the few stores that continues to carry books is Walmart, and I’m so thankful that many Walmart stores carry a full display of Harlequin and Love Inspired books. (Unfortunately my Walmart doesn’t, but let’s save that for another post.) One of the reasons I decided to publish with Love Inspired is that they have a good price point ($4.48) and they distribute through Walmart. Next time you stop by your local Walmart store, take a look. Even if you read on an e-reader, a book is a nice gift to give to a friend and it costs less than my favorite cup of coffee and scone.

A Perfect Amish Match is now available in bookstores everywhere as well as on-line, and it will be  available in ebook on May 1.

What about you? Do you remember bookstores? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive an autographed book from yours truly. Last week’s winner was Glinda (Glinda, you should have received an email from me today.)

VC

Announcements for this week

• Visit my VC Boutique Store and you’ll see some new spring items. These would make great Mother’s day gifts.  I hope you’ll check it out!
  • The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is coming along nicely. You can preorder now at BN and Apple, and it will be available on Amazon soon.
  • Are you signed up for my newsletter? Some fun announcements are coming soon, so be sure and sign up.
  • My Plain & Simple Miracles series is currently on sale in ebook format. Prices are $2.99, $1.99 and $1.99. Details here.

26 thoughts on “Bookstores

1. susanlulu2013

I’m with YOU! I so miss bookstores. My late husband and I would spend hours and hundreds of dollars on books every time we went to one. (out of town and on trips) There’s nothing as soothing and calming as spending time in a bookstore! I wish I could go back to those happier times!

2. Carol Alscheff

My 2 local Wal-Marts carry very few books and they stopped carrying Love Inspired but they still have Love Inspired Suspense. I am not sure why one and not the other. But I work in a lovely Christian bookstore so I just order them for myself through the store. I have ordered your new book. Waiting for it to get here.

3. Meg Schumann

I love bookstores! I love looking at book covers and turning paper pages. My husband and I frequented the Borders bookstore near us, until it closed. We’d get coffee, find a book (or books) and a chair, read excerpts of the books and decide which one(s) to buy. A friend and I swap books to read.

4. Angela Burnett

I love bookstores and hate that there are not many left. I have a B&N and an outlet bookstore close. My daughter and I have found some pretty awesome deals at the outlet. The only books my husband reads is Uncle John’s Bathroom Readers. We have found brand new $30 books for a $1 for my husband. Hastings was one of my favorites because you could get coffee too.

5. Linda McFarland

A bookstore has that ‘book smell’ and is a fun place to explore. I need to check out my Walmart!

6. Gail Hollingsworth

We had a Books A Million that I enjoyed going to but it closed a few years ago. Our Lifeway is now having a store closing sale. I’m going to miss going there. All that’s left in our city is a Barnes and Noble. Bookstores, like libraries are relaxing to me. I can browse or sit a while and relax.

We have one B&N that’s about 30 miles away. They ARE relaxing. Maybe the small indie stores will make a come back. I’ve heard they’re doing better.

7. RobbyeFaye

I love bookstores and can get lost in one for hours on end ( a library, too for that matter!).

Our Walmart carries your books. In fact my Mom, before she passed away, got me started reading your books. She had my Dad stop at Walmart nearly everyday looking for the Harlequin Love Inspired and Suspense books.

Thanks for the opportunity to win and good luck to everyone!

Blessings~

What a sweet story about your mom. I know you must miss her, and I appreciate your being a reader! I love libraries and bookstores…I love the smell that is BOOKS! 🙂

1. RobbyeFaye

Thank you, Vannetta. I’m thankful our love for reading was passed down to our children, too!
        I love the smell of books, old, new and in-between, there’s nothing like the smell of books! (They are my one weakness, we have several thousand in our home library!)
        If this is a duplicate, please disregard. It didn’t show as being delivered.
        Blessings~

8. Brenda Murphree

I love bookstores and really miss the local owned one in our small city. They were getting old and I guess they were ready to retire.

We had 2 bookstores when we moved to our town 10 years ago. Now both are closed. 🙁

9. Janice Croft

I love bookstores. My Walmart does have a book section and I do purchase a lot of the books I read there. I also check Half Price Books. I would rather have a book in my hand instead of an electronic book.

Our Walmart’s section is pitiful. They have Harlequin/Love Inspired sign but no books! Supposedly they are working on it.

10. Gerri

I love bookstores. They seem to be my family. I can browse and pick a book out and buy. Can buy coffee and sit and read, or take home.

That’s a fun afternoon, right? Makes me want to go to the coffee shop right now!

11. Debbie Earls

I always love book stores. It is sad that there aren’t too many left. I do have a Kindle, but there’s still something about holding a book in your hand that I enjoy. I guess you could say I am a book hoarder. I have several book shelves with books waiting for me to read them. I read every day. It’s my favorite pass time. Thank you for continuing to write great Christian fiction. I enjoy your books.

I feel the same way. I’m trying to read a paper book at the moment, and the problem is that it’s hard to read when I’m curling up before bed. I can’t see it! lol. I’m spoiled with that e-reader back light.

12. Marilyn

I miss having bookstores to linger in. There are a couple of Christian bookstores within 60 mile radius from where I live. Our Walmart carries Love Inspired and Harlequin books and a few others. They’ve reduced the space for books though. Beautiful new items in your boutique store.

Oh, Marilyn — I do too. We used to go to the Bass Music Hall in Ft. Worth and there was this lovely 2 story B&N across the street. Those were the days!

13. lib1lady

I hate to buy anything sight unseen and that includes books. I am the book buyer for our Church Library. I like to look at the book and thumb through it to see if it’s one that our readers will like. You can’t do that with books bought online. Plus, I love the feel and the smell of a “real” book.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

I so appreciate you’re working in your church library. They’re a wonderful support of Christian authors.

14. Alison DeVito

Yes, I love bookstores! My husband and I used to go on dates to the local bookstore and we still do. I ran the Book Sale at the library where I worked – I was a closet bookstore owner – it was so fun! Hopefully, I’m not too late to be in the running for your autographed book – I’d love one!