Book Dedication

Amish fiction, Love Inspired Books, New Release Comments: 50

Do you read the book dedication in the front of books?

I do. In fact, I read all of the front matter. It’s a funny thing. If you’re reading on an e-reader, sometimes they start on page 1 of chapter 1. I always want to shout “Slow down, Nelly.” I have to tell the e-reader to go to the cover, and let me read all of the front stuff. Of course if it’s a print book, I can just flip to the front!

For me, it’s a special thing to be able to dedicate a book to someone. After all, it takes a village to raise an author. (You know what I mean.) I couldn’t possibly do this writing gig without friends and family and readers.

My next release is A Perfect Amish Match. It will be in stores on April 16th and available in ebook on May 1. I had the pleasure of dedicating this book to my friend, Beth. She’s sitting in the middle holding the book, and my friend Priscilla is standing. These two gals are a real help to me in so many ways–they take me for coffee when I need it, tell me to stop working when I need it, and pray for me all the time. I’m super happy to have them in my life.

Now it’s your turn. Who is a source of encouragement in your life? Leave a comment below, and we’ll pull one winner to receive a $10 Amazon gift certificate (delivered via email). Last week’s winner was Maureen P. (Maureen, you should have received an email from me today.)

VC

Announcements for this week

• The anthology I’m participating in, Summer of Suspense, is coming along nicely. You can preorder now at BN and Apple, and it will be available on Amazon soon.
  • Visit my VC Boutique StoreΒ and you’ll see some new spring items. Also, my spring special is my entire Plain & Simple Miracle series for just $14. That’s 3 books for $14Β (shipping is always free). I hope you’ll check it out!
  • Are you signed up for my newsletter? Some fun announcements are coming soon, so be sure and sign up.
  • I’m giving away 10 autographed copies of A Perfect Amish Match on Goodreads, so if you have a member there go and enter!

50 thoughts on “Book Dedication

1. Gail Hollingsworth

I read it all! Book dedication, author notes, discussion questions, acknowledgements, new releases, other books by the author etc. I learn a lot from the author notes, especially if it’s an historical fiction.

Hi Gail. Right? I know exactly what you mean. There’s little gems hidden in those front pages. πŸ™‚

2. Kay Bennett

I love the dedications, acknowledgements, author info, all of it. I was so confused the first time I used my new ereader and it went to page one of the book. I have to always go back. There is one person who is always a source of encouragement and love for me. (Although I do have several others, this one is the biggest in my life) My amazing mother Erika. She has been through so much, does so much, takes care of so much, and still has the time to help me, encourage me, and support me. She is the best!

I don’t know why ebooks do that, Kay. Every time I have to tell it “No. Go to the cover!” lol. And your mom sounds amazing.

3. Linda McFarland

Both my husband and my mom are sources of encouragement! They are my cheerleaders whenever I am discouraged! I am blessed!

Hi Linda. I love that you said cheerleaders … that’s what my people remind me of too. πŸ™‚

4. Tena

My Father. He was such a wonderful inspiration in the way he raised us. I hope I have passed that along to my son.

Hi Tena. Oh, I know what you mean. I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t think of something my dad said to me.

5. Lori Smanski

It is so wonderful to have friends like this. I have two friends that do the same. We share life together and are there for each other. We have been in bible studies together. One friend, we live less than a block from each other. Our oldest sons went to school and cub scouts and boy scouts together. I get your newsletter. I enjoy it. Thank you for all the wonderful content that you share. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

Hi Lori. Isn’t it precious to have a friend that has been with you for so long? Glad you’re enjoying the newsletter.

6. Teri Walker

Vannetta,
    I too yell at Kendell and tell them I want to see the cover, read the dedications and even all the pages at the end of the book. I bet many people don’t know you have recipes in your books too.
    If someone took the time to write it, we should take the time to read it.
    Hugs, Teri

Hey, Teri Walker. It’s so good to see you hear, and I can’t imagine you yelling at your ereader. πŸ™‚

7. Gloria A

I also read the whole book, including the author’s notes, dedication page, etc. My husband is probably my biggest source of encouragement these days.

Hi Gloria. It’s awesome to have a husband who is also an encourager. I think that is one of life’s most precious blessings.

Your dad sounds awesome. I am still learning so much from my mom and my m-i-l. They are certainly a special generation. When you think of how much has changed in their lifetime … well, I think they’re amazing.

8. Linda Johnston

Yes, I read the dedications. My encourager is my daughter-in-law, Vickey. She is so good about knowing what I need. I wish I had that gift to be able to encourage her like she does for me.

Hi Linda. What a blessing that you have a d-i-l you are close to, and I am sure you are an encourager to her as well.

9. Mary Hazelrigg

My husband is my inspiration. He is always there with a smile and an idea if I go wrong with what I trying to get done! In almost 42 years he has been the most supportive, patient, and loving man.

10. beth scott

I am so blessed to be your friend. You and Prissy pull me back to center A LOT! I do read the stuff in the front pages. I am not a writer but I find it interesting. I had a medication dictionary one time and the stuff in the front was hilarious! Silly disclaimers etc.
    I love Vannetta’s writing AND her piano playing. She is a mighty and gifted artist.

1. Natalie Kreitzman

I read the dedications in hopes that one day I will see my name. Lol. Encourager? My mother, eho insisted I get a college education.

HI Natalie. It’s funny you mention that – I always read dedications to see if I know any of the people mentioned. πŸ™‚ And your mom sounds like an awesome person.

11. Angelique Daley

My dear friend Danielle! She is such a blessing to me. We are both at the same stages of life. She prays for me and encourages me. We share reading together and adventures together. I’m so grateful for her. And I pray I’m as much a blessing to her as she is to me!

HI Angelique. It’s so lovely to have a friend that prays for you. I know you are an encouragement to Danielle too.

12. Glinda

I read all book dedications. It gives me insight to the authors heart and what and who’s important to this author.

Hi Glinda. That’s a really good point. Sometimes authors can put in a dedication what encourages them and what inspires them to write. I love that.

13. Angela Burnett

My husband and then my oldest daughter. They are always there for me. Depending on what issues I am having depends on who I go to.
    I do read dedications but I have to admit I don’t always read the acknowledgement.

HI Angela. Be sure and tell your hubby and daughter that you gave them a shout-out. I think it’s awesome that they encourage you and are supportive. That’s so important for all of us!

14. Trixi

I read it all!! I love when the author includes reader notes in the back too. You learn a lot about the writer through them.

My husband is my encourager as well as my sister-in-law.

Hi Trixi. I like to sneak snippets about the actual location that inspired the book in my reader’s note. It’s fun to share places people might enjoy visiting.

15. Tammie Edington Shaw

My husband is my greatest encouragement and a couple of friends at church. I read all front matter in books, also.

Hi Tammie. Sometimes our church friends know us best because we feel like we can be “real” with them. And I love that your husband is your encourager.

16. Mary Hazelrigg

I just purchased A Perfect Amish Match at Walmart. Anxious to start to read it tonight after church. Thanks.