Learning from the Amish, part 1

Amish view Comments: 13

Amish farm

One of the first things I learned from the Amish was focus. Now that may sound a little strange, I mean how focused can you be in a house with upwards of 10 children? But when I have visited Amish homes, I am immediately struck by how peaceful it is, and then I realize that’s because there are so few distractions.

• No cell phone buzzing
  • No computer with emails waiting to be answered
  • No television
  • No radio

Don’t misunderstand me. I have all those things at my house, and to a point I think they’re good things. But when I’ve visited an Amish home, and when I bask in that simplicity, I feel myself start to unwind. Why? Because all of those things calling for my attention are gone. All that’s left are the people I care about, and the things I need to do. I’m able to focus. I’m able to relax.

I live in a small town in the middle of Texas. We do not have an Amish population here. And I love where I live and the people who are my neighbors. But the Amish lifestyle reminds me that I I can choose to silence my phone, sign off from my computer, turn off the television and the radio–not all the time but for a certain amount of time each day. Silence helps us to focus. It helps us to gather our thoughts and connect with each other and also with God. It helps our mind to calm and our emotions to settle.

The Amish lifestyle isn’t a perfect one or an easy one, but I do believe there are things we can learn from the Amish and apply to our own Englisch lives. So what about you? How do you find peace in the midst of your daily life? Comment below. I’d love to hear from you.

Announcements for this week:

• My Remnant Series is still on sale in ebook format through the end of the month.
  • I’ve added some new items to my VC Boutique Store, including my January special–2 Amish mystery books for $10 (shipping included). I hope you’ll check it out!
  • My clean romantic suspense series, Defending America, is now available in a boxed set through Amazon. My inspirational suspense Jacobs Family series is also in a boxed set. Both are $6.99/set or free through Kindle Unlimited.
  • For our next post, we’ll continue with this series on “What I’ve learned from the Amish” – so stay tuned and invite your friends to follow this blog!
  • Are you signed up for my newsletter? On Saturday I’ll share some exciting news and also give you access to a free prequel of my upcoming Amish cozy mystery series.

13 thoughts on “Learning from the Amish, part 1

1. Carole

I enjoy sitting out on our screened-in porch facing our garden and listen as the water cascades into two small fountains. I watch the squirrels, butterflies and small lizards scurrying to and fro.

2. annaawllms

I enjoy reading stories about the Amish. I have not been able to read much lately due to family issues. But they are much better and I hope to resume my reading. Thank you

I do too! And I know about not having time to read. It makes me grumpy! Hubby’s been known to say, “Maybe you should go read for a little while.”

Thanks so much! And I agree, they do work very hard, but it’s not a frantic pace like I find myself in much of the time. I need to learn to slow down, and I’m reminded of that when I visit with them.

3. Alison DeVito

I admire the Amish very much – especially for the way they keep things so simple. I love going on vacation and not having to check email! Reading a book during breakfast and while drinking that first cup of coffee is a very peaceful time for me. Quiet time before life interrupts!

Quiet time is something I am learning to enjoy again. I used to always have music playing as I write, but now–more and more–I just have sweet silence. I guess we go through different phases!

4. lib1lady

My quiet came in the form of turning the television off. It wasn’t my television but one in my dentist waiting room. Another lady and I were waiting for our names to be called. She was engrossed in the program, Let’s Make A Deal. When her name was called, I turned the tv off. As they say, “Silence is Golden”, besides, how else was I going to read my book?
    Janet Estridge
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

Yes, I know that feeling. We have televisions running at the gym I go to. As soon as I step on the treadmill, I hit the MUTE button. Ahh–peace.

5. Maureen Phillips

Sometimes I just have a technology-free day. If I am spending time with friends my phone is muted so I won’t be interrupted and can be present in the moment.
    So excited about your new cozy mystery series!

I love the idea of “being present in the moment.” That’s a nice way to put it, Maureen. One of the things I enjoy about when hubs and I go camping is that usually there’s no wi-fi signal. lol. We play scrabble and read. It’s very relaxing.

6. Karen Tackett

So enjoyed the first part of your info about the Amish. We have spent time in Lancaster, PA and so loved it. I have an Amish quilt registered in PA. So enjoy your books and others set in the Amish communities. Looking forward to the next part of your series on the Amish. We certainly can Learn from the Amish. God bless you!!