Resting

Author life, Christian authors, crafts Comments: 38

Have you ever felt like you needed a little bit of a rest? I imagine we all feel that way from time to time. Last week I turned book #31 into my editor…that’s 31 books since 2010. Whew! My brain felt a little frazzled. So I’ve decided to take a time of rest. It’s like a giant present I’ve given to myself…a few weeks to take a deep breath and allow my body, mind, and soul to rest.

Of course I have all these things I want to do:

• Knit
  • Quilt (see my block of the month? What fun!)
  • Read, read, read
  • Take more walks (when the temp drops below 100)
  • Spend time with my friends and family
  • Rest

Ours is a pretty fast-paced world. I almost feel guilty for taking a little time off. But guilt isn’t what I hear in my heart–what I hear is Rest…it’s okay to take time to rest. In Exodus God said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” In Mark, Christ said, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place, and get some rest.” And one of my favorite verses from the book of Matthew, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Comment below with one of your favorite ways to rest, and I’ll draw one winner to receive my latest release. Our winner from the last post was Gloria.

Announcements for this week:

• VC Reader’s Boutique is up and running. You can purchase autographed paperback books as well as handmade items to go along with the books. Click here to browse my items and remember that I add new items several times a week. Also use SUMMER15 for a discount code anytime this week, and you’ll receive 15% off your entire order.
  • An Amish Table, A Perfect Square, and An Amish Cradle all made the ECPA bestseller list this month. Thank you for supporting Christian fiction.
  • The repackaged edition of Material Witness releases July 10th and Love Inspired should start shipping paperback copies A Widow’s Hope on July 17th (ebook available 8-1). You can preorder in all the normal places.

38 thoughts on “Resting

1. Gail Hollingsworth

My favorite way to rest is camping in our RV. I can sit and crochet or read in the great outdoors of God’s creation!

2. Elaine Shorb

When I am reading, that is the best test I can get.
    Another way that I rest, is visiting Lancaster County Amish Country. Sure, we go to our favorite places. But driving around and seeing the beautiful countryside, that’s resting.
    Vanetta…Enjoy your break and resting!

3. Debbie Earls

My favorite way to rest is to read a book. I can escape to some other place & be still. It’s hard to do that sometimes with all the things that are so daily! I would rather read than watch tv.

4. Maureen Hughes-Phillips

A good book, a cup of tea, a quiet place sitting in the outdoors = a refreshing rest. Often the book has been one of yours that I have enjoyed. You’ve help me rest, now take some time for yourself!

5. Royce E Hostetler

What is REST when one is retired? I find that this 69-year old body needs a nap daily to keep it vital and functioning well. So in my daily schedule, even with the three days I volunteer at the library, I take the time to have a nap between 4-6 pm. Some days it is a shorter nap, but it makes for the evening to pass much more peacefully.

1. Anne Rightler

There are days I am tempted to crawl in my bed for a nap but I’m afraid I’ll never want to get back up! Retirement does wear a body out, eh?

6. Dorothy Perry

My favorite way to rest is to get caught up in someone else’s life reading a book. As I am reading and becoming a part of their lives I forget about my own. When finished, I get up and go about my day renewed!!
    Enjoy your rest!

7. Pamela Bain

I like to rest in my recliner, with a good book,a bright light and a cold glass of my favorite drink( soda). Having my fur baby with me makes it even better.

8. Jennifer Rumberger

My favorite ways to rest are reading or watching movies on Hallmark. Enjoy your down time!

9. Marsha Christenbury

There are different ways to rest but spending time with my four sister in laws is really the best! They are all such good Christian friends to me!

10. Tiffany Hall

My favorite ways to rest is to read, play the piano, and go on a relaxing trip to the mountains.

11. Kimberly A Kiesey

I love to sit back with my Kindle and read my Amish Novels! So relaxing when you can get caught up in the stories and charcters!

12. Tena Greear

My favorite place to rest is the swing on my back porch. Every evening, weather permitting, that’s where you will find me!

13. Lori Smanski

woohoo for you. way to go. we all need to rest our brains and our bodies at times. i love to rest by either quilting or making greeting cards. sometimes just spending time with a girl friend. have a fabulous summer.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

14. lib1lady

One of my favorite ways to rest is to just not answer the phone. For the last 3 weeks I’ve been dealing with sick relatives and friends. Now that things have calmed down somewhat, I hope.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

15. Linda McFarland

My favorite way to rest is to sit in my swing on my deck and read and nap! I just need someone to keep the swing moving back and forth when it stops!

16. Patti Gallagher

First and foremost Vannetta, congratulations on finishing your 31st book! That amount of books in 8 years…AMAZING! Your gift of writing has been a blessing to us and most importantly has given Him the glory! You deserve a nice period of rest!
    Resting for me is a feeling of peace and contentment. It might be a hike, listening to the Sunday church sermon, crocheting, sewing, swimming, or quietly reading beside my kitties. Rest is good for the body and especially the soul!

17. Elizabeth Dent

Hey Vannetta , I know what you mean . We all have to just rest by our self simetimes . I go to my sewing room and work on what ever I am doing . Right now I am working on the Metro Rings quilt that we are doing in Chicolate club. It does helps so take the time off when you need it . Love you and your books , but rest also is needed.

1. Rory Lemond

I like to read a book and look.out at the lake. It is so.peaceful andbtranwuill during the week. I nap sometimes happens as I drift off to dreamland.

18. Debora Wilder

One of my favorite ways to relax and take a break from the pressures of life is to sit on the beach and watch the waves come in. I remember that God is in complete control of the oceans and He knows just how many drops of water are in each wave. He knows everything going on in my life and is in control of it too.

19. Karen Tackett

For years my favorite way to rest was to crochet and especially crochet baby booties and hats. I had made so many that it was not work but relaxation for me. As my hand tremors have gotten a bit worse it is a bit tedious to crochet with baby yarn so now I am reading to rest. Your books and many others give me a peace that brings that wonderful rest and refreshing. Thank you Vannetta for your books. 31 is sure a lot but I can sense the joy you have in writing them.

20. Mary Lou Hazelrigg

You do deserve a break! I read when I take a break. Or maybe take a stroll in the yard to check the flowers and shrubs. I can’t wait to read your new book for Love Inspired this month.

Thanks, Mary Lou

I enjoy & rest sitting outside with our two fur babies when they are playing, I read a good book and escape into another world for a while when
    out there .

22. Ellie

One of my favorite ways to rest is to correspond. I love sending cards, letters, etc. and it’s very refreshing to me to sit down at my desk with some notecards, stamps, and colored pens.

23. Alison DeVito

If I need a break from life, one of my favorite ways to relax is to escape into the world of a good book. If I had my druthers, I would also find my way to the beautiful Green Mountains of Vermont or the gentle countryside of Lancaster County. Nothing makes me happier or relaxes me more than a dose of life in the country!

24. Valorie Smith

You deserve a long peaceful rest my friend, so do not feel guilty! For me, rest has many different definitions….
    Physical rest, includes a time of stretching out and closing my eyes
    Mental rest, I have to turn off all devices (TV, radio, phone etc.)…..
    Emotional rest, I have to escape more than likely with an Amish book….
    But truly I love to do all of these while camping! Just wish I could.

25. Deborah Simmering

My favorite way to rest is to set out on my deck on my swing and read and go wherever the book takes me. That is so relaxing to me. Once a year I go visit my good friend from high school in South Carolina and we walk on the beach and that is very relaxing to me also. I tell her I come down to relax and destress. Enjoy your time of relaxation, you deserve it. Beautiful quilt square.

26. Roberta M. Jeffers

My favorite way to rest is a chocolate bar, a good mystery and coffee or iced tea depending on the weather.

27. Margaret Persinger

I love all your thoughts, posts, blog, etc, always so refreshing to me. 31 books…WOW, what an accomplishment! You deserve the best, rest❤️