Happy Labor Day

Christian living, UFO Challenge Comments: 15

labor dayA short post today to thank you for your work. Whether it is in a classroom, a patrol car, a hospital, a home or a hundred other places, thank you for the work you do.

My prayer is that this Labor Day weekend will be a restful and safe one. I would love to hear what job you have (or had). I’ll start–I worked as an office manager for 10 years, a stay-at-home mom for 5, and a teacher for 15. I’ve been a full time writer for the past 5. All were great jobs, and I appreciate that the Lord led me to them. How about you? It always amazes me to hear what profession people have. Leave a comment below, and Happy Labor Day.

ps – If you’re participating in the Crafting UFO challenge, our number for September is 10. I’ve pinned my August projects here.

15 thoughts on “Happy Labor Day

1. Rose Milligan

My husband is the store manager at Cleo’s Furniture Store. I was a student for 6 years; I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in liberal arts with an emphasis in English and Theatre and my Masters in Theatre. And I’ve been a stay-at-home mommy for 3 years to two daughters, Kiaya Faye (3) and Leila (1).

2. Maureen Harrod

I have worked off and on since I was 13 I am now 68 and still work. I have baby sat, broke in a mattress long distant telephone operator full time Mother receptionist for a car dealer A Kelly Girl worked for Avis rent A car, teacher’s aide and now work for the census bureau. At one point I had three part time job’s.

3. Judy Burgi

I’ve worked in factories as a punch press operator, worked as a clerical person for the maker of Heath Kits, stayed at home raising two kids for 12 years, went back to work as a Sr. Clerk for the D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant, in Bridgman, MI…did that for almost 15 years, worked clerical for a ball bearing company, worked clerical at Nationwide Insurance, home office in Columbus, OH, worked clerical for RediMed in Fort Wayne, IN and now I am completely retired.

4. ajwbear

I started working when I was 15 at a dept store. After that I worked at a bank on Wall Street in NYC, now I work at the local Walmart, I am a cashier and next Friday I will celebrate 9 years with the company. I love meeting new people and making friends with some of the regular customers. I am married to my 2nd husband for 21 years and still love him dearly, he has seen me through the good times and the bad.

5. Brenda Murphree

I worked in several garment factories when I was real young. Then a furniture factory. I went to Nursing School and I worked at as a Certified Nursing Assistance for 27 years. 26 of those years I worked night shift 11PM-7AM. I am disabled now and had to quit work in 2012.

1. Vickie

I worked in a local school system for 24 years in the main office of the media center entering books processing books. I was happy to be able and retire in 2011. Now I am just a housewife, doing the normal things, such as laundry, etc. when I am not reading!

6. Shirley Chapel

Hi Vannetta. I appreciate all the work and efforts you put into your writing. You are an excellent writer.
    I’m retired now and I love being home. For a hobby and something I love I read books. I do reviews on Amazon for some of them.
    In my working life I’ve done everything from working at the post office as a rural route carrier to working in a hospital as a OR support tech. For 11 years I stayed home to raise our daughter, who now is a RN and Red Cross volunteer.
    Not an exciting life as some would view it but it was a living and I survived. Have a great Labor Day weekend. Enjoy what fall colors you have in Texas. In Southern Ohio some of our trees have begun to turn. Not many. Apple’s are now for sale.

7. gee20dix

I started my teen yrs in fast foods then went to office work doing data entry, medical transcriptionist, medical records and medical building. Then did daycare 4 years. Became disabled in 2006, was a foster mom for 5 years, adopted my grandson that is on the autism spectrum. He is now age 8 at least part of the time. I am a stay at home mom, review books for writers and write poetry and thinking about writing a novel. Just cannot get my feet planted on the ground to do so.

8. grandma68

I was a telephone operator, head cook in a hospital, worked in a nursing home, patient care assistant in an independent living facility, worked in a warehouse distributing school supplies.

9. Debbie Rhoades

I was a registered nurse in a hospital for 20 years; before that, I was a nurse’s aide, a legal Secretary, an insurance claims clerk, an insurance underwriter, and worked for the Social Security Administration. You might call me multi-talented lol. I am now retired. Happy Labor Day, Vannetta, and y’all try to keep cool down there in TX.

10. Kate Kleinert

I was a secretary for most of my career and loved that work…”taking care of everybody”. I left my job to become my husband’s full time caregiver for the last two years of his life. No income, but we wouldn’t have traded that time together for anything. Since he passed, I have an on-line store for breed specific gifts and I sing at local churches for funeral services. At the ripe old age of 62, I have just started lessons to be a voice actor!

11. Cheryl Callan

I have work in fabric store really look ‘ve it. Factory 2different ones. One made registers for floors ceilings wall. The other made tractor cabs. Plus size clothing store. Book keeper gas station. I made those glasses in an hour. Bask in Robbins cake decorator..day care. And now enjoying life…

12. Missy Endres

Happy Labor Day! I have a wonderful job. I work for a private foundation. I manage the grant program. We make grants to local agencies that are focused on individual and community health and well being. I feel very blessed in my work.

My August UFO was a vintage sewing fabric panel that I bought years ago. I couldn’t find the original quilt pattern that I wanted to make so I cut it up and made lots of pincushions. In my spare time, I am the local chapter coordinator for Project Linus. I’m going to take them to our next Make a Blanket Day and give them out as thank you gifts. I’ll post a picture of a few of them on the Pinterest page.