April UFO

crafts, UFO Challenge Comments: 23

2015 UFO Challenge, April

IMG_0972I learned a lot from my UFO challenge this month.

• I don’t like small triangles
  • Some projects are too hard for me
  • Look carefully before you buy a kit
  • Stick with it, even when it is too hard

If you can relate to any of these, free to use the COMMENT button above.

IMG_0973As you can see I have some help when I quilt. I think some of you have “helpers” like mine. The dog usually sleeps across my foot as I’m quilting, or RIGHT BEHIND my chair. They would prefer I spend my time petting them!

Although this didn’t turn out as well as I hoped, I’m glad that I completed it. Now I can move on to something else, and it’s bound to be something easier!

So how about you? Did you finish a project? Or are you enjoying cheering us on? Either way, leave a comment and I’ll draw one winner to receive a book of their choice.

If you are on Pinterest and would like to post a picture, send me a request on Pinterest or email me at VannettaChapman (at) gmail (dot) com with your Pinterest name. I’ll add you! If you’d like to just go look at the board, you can find it here. The May number that we’re supposed to complete is #12, and the general idea of the UFO project is described here.

Next week we’ll talk about Protected. In celebration of this release, I’ve dropped the price of Hidden to $2.99. I do hope you’ll give it a try if you haven’t read it yet.

23 thoughts on “April UFO

1. Patricia

I think it’s lovely, Vannetta. I’m sure your cat wasn’t happy when it became a wall hanging, instead of a cat quilt! 🙂
    I am SO looking forward to Protected!

2. Judy Sheridan Smith

My UFO for April was 3 ‘tea books’ made for a friend. (She bought the kits last June – ugh.) Not quilted per se but batting between 2 pieces of fabric sewn into a book design. Each holds 4 tea bags so you will always have your favorite with you. She really likes them! they did turn out well but are not on my list of projects to do again in the future. So glad to scratch a 4th item off the UFO list! Now on to May’s project!

1. Judy Sheridan Smith

Did I misunderstand? I thought I was to leave a posting about the April UFO, as the request for postings for the March UFO came in early April?

YOU were right, Judy. It was the April UFO. 🙂 I had the wrong heading, but I fixed it now.

1. Judy Sheridan Smith

I had deleted my pictures…..sigh. My friend just posted them on my timeline on fb. You and I are fb friends; hopefully you can see the ‘tea books’ there.

3. Linda Anderson

My April UFO still needs the binding put on. Hopefully I can get to that today. Vannetta, small triangles are very hard, but I like your attitude. “Stick with it, even when it is too hard.” I’ll post a picture of my UFO on the Pinterest page. It’s called Many Blessings by Darlene Zimmerman. And is made out of Civil War reproduction fabrics. I got this as a kit for Christmas two years ago from a friend and it was a fun one to do. No little triangles, just big set in ones.

Great! I would love to see a picture. The fabric sounds awesome. And by the way, I’m staying away from triangles this month. 🙂

4. Mary Herrnstein

I am still working on my project…it is pretty slow going…I hope to be able to get a lot done this coming week…but I’m wishing all of you God-speed in finishing your’s!

Some projects are certainly slower than others, as far as I’m concerned. 🙂

5. Elaine Tankus

I enjoy cheering you on. Vanetta I think it is amazing that you have such talent. I fingers can not let me do small stitching like that. I too have cats that always help in every project. They meow and meow till I finish. I feel like they are telling me I am doing a great job

6. Melissa

My April UFO was a jelly roll quilt. I bought the fabric several years ago in Savannah, GA and didn’t do anything with it until now. The quilt top is now done. I originally had a different pattern in mind, but when I opened up the jelly roll I realized it wasn’t cut correctly. So I improvised, trimmed the strips down to a uniform size and found a pattern on pinterest that would work. I had some leftover fabric so I made two pillow tops as well. Pictures are on pinterest.

It is not quilted yet. I hand quilt so I am a little behind on that part. I think that all of my 2016 UFOs will be quilting the tops that I am finishing this year!

I love your project and kitty!

1. Judy Sheridan Smith

May I ask where to find the pictures of the jelly roll top and pillow tops on pinterest?

I think jelly rolls are fun! And definitely hand quilting does take a little longer. 🙂