February’s UFO

crafts, Quilting, UFO Challenge Comments: 26

2015 UFO Challenge, February
IMG_3421

I’ve been thinking about hobbies. For me, they are very relaxing. They give me time away from the computer, which is always a good thing. But what things keep us from enjoying our hobbies? Do you ever wake up PLANNING to work on a project, only to drop in bed 15 hours later realizing you never even looked at it? I’d love to hear some suggestions for how to combat this sort of thing. Feel free to use the COMMENT button above.

As for my UFO project for this month, I was very motivated because it was a short month. I carved out time, especially when I had the house to myself. I finished the child’s quilt to the right. I like it because it looks like something a boy would like, and I usually make girlie quilts.

IMG_3422This little table square quilt was something I did because I had a few extra hours and didn’t want to start a large project. You can find the free pattern here. It’s a wonderful way to use up some scraps.

So how about you? Did you finish a project? Or are you enjoying cheering us on? Either way, leave a comment and I’ll draw one winner to receive a book of their choice.

If you can, leave a picture of your project. If the program doesn’t allow that, just describe it to us. I’ve also set up a board on Pinterest. If you are on Pinterest and would like to post to it, send me a request on Pinterest or email me at VannettaChapman (at) gmail (dot) com with your Pinterest name. I’ll add you! If you’d like to just go look at the board, you can find it here. The March number that we’re supposed to complete is #4, and the general idea of the UFO project is described here.

Next week we’ll have another VC Street Team spotlight, and we’ll again be giving away a book. Last week’s winner was Jean Clements. Jean, check your email, or contact me at the address above. I need your mailing address.

26 thoughts on “February’s UFO

1. Shirley Chapel

Hi V. Love your quilt. You do such good work on your quilts. This definitely would compliment some little boy babys crib and make his mother very happy.
    I’m just on the side lines cheering everyone on. This is fun and wished I was talented to work on quilts. Almost you convenience me V to take up this hobby.
    Love to all you UFO workers.
    Shirley

2. Missy Endres

Your projects are great! I ended up changing my February UFO. My original one was a mystery quilt that I started several years ago when I was very new to quilting. I had the blocks finished for that but had never pieced them together. Unfortunately the pattern was way too advanced for me at the time. I had messed up the blocks to the point that I couldn’t do anything with them and had to abandon that project. It was a great learning experience though!

So, instead for my February UFO I finished marking a quilt top. The fabric is called shimmer and the majority of the colors are blue, brown and gray. The pattern has hidden pinwheels in it. For some reason, I was procrastinating on marking it so it worked out perfect to be my February UFO.

I also started a new mystery quilt for Project Linus. A new clue is released each week. My goal was to stay current with that and I am proud to report that I am current!

Also, I was excited to be the first book winner of the UFO challenge. I started Falling to Pieces last week and I absolutely love it!!!

All of my quilts are learning experiences, Missy. I started UFO #4 yesterday, and I was determined to be oh so careful. The 4th cut, WRONG … I did it wrong. Had to sew it bak together and recut. Your projects sound wonderful!

3. Marsha C

I am so excited! I went to my first quilting class on Monday. So someday down the road I will have something to share. I love seeing yours.

4. Elizabeth Dent

Vannetta , love your quilt , it is so pretty . You are really looking good on your quilting . My hobbies is quilting and reading , the two main ones .. My project is on my Chocolate therapy club we have just started this quilt . Mine is going to be a queen size . We are going to be working on this for several months . I don’t know how to get a picture on her . Thanks for all you do . Love your books and your quilting .
    lizd225(at)gmail(dot)com

A chocolate therapy club? I’m IN! And I believe I sent you an invite to the pinterest board. 🙂

5. Judy Smith

Have yet to learn how to post pictures……sigh. So I will just say I finished February’s UFO which was to use up a yard of fabric with a pattern too large for my quilt projects. The 4T bright colored skirt will be sent soon to a little girl in IN. Thanks for sharing your pictures; they are encouraging. Do like working off my UFO list!

I need to ask my webmeisters about posting pictures. Your quilt sounds so bright and beautiful!

Welcome back to crafting … it’s definitely more fun than tax work, Irene. 🙂

6. Gail Hollingsworth

I tried to make a quilt for my husband out of old denim jeans. It was a disaster! I crochet mainly and also do some counted cross-stitch. But those little 14 count squares seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
    Yours is beautiful by the way!

I love crocheting, Gail, and I know what you mean about cross stitch. I like it … but I have to be choosy what I do so that I can see it!

7. Linda Anderson

Hi Vannetta, I just discovered this UFO challenge on your blog. And I’ve been trying to get some UFO’s done. So I think I will join. I’m a couple of months behind but I do have 2 quilts finished. I don’t see where I can post the pictures, so I guess I’ll just describe them. The first one is a Fall scrap quilt made using the Around The Twist pattern from This and That pattern company. It was a class that was taught by my sister to our quilt guild. The second one was from a class that was taught by Celine Perkins from Perkin’s County Drygoods back in 2006. I started it and it wasn’t going very well so I just put it away. I’m happy to say it is completely finished!! The background is a pale yellow with light green, dark green and dark purple. It feels good to get these UFO’s done.

Yeah! Welcome to the UFO club. I’m just discovering scrap quilts and love them. Actually I separated my scraps yesterday. I think I’ll post on scrap quilting later in the month, so be sure and check back and chime in.

8. Rachel Hanig

I love that pattern…it looks so simple. I can use up some of the material I have sitting around. This would be a good pattern to make something for the library fundraiser where I work at with my Dr. Seuss material. Haven’t finished any of my UFO’s yet but I am now sewing a lot more since I bought home my new toy, a Viking Opal 690q. Love it so much.

9. Connie R.

I am enjoying watching you complete your projects. I haven’t started anything. I love the choosing of fabrics, hate the sewing so I don’t buy! You keep tempting me to do something, though! Other than FB, my current favorite hobby is reading your books!!