There’s nothing simple about stress. It can rob you of sleep and steal your joy. While stress may be a normal part of life, there are things we can do–things we can learn from our Amish friends–to help deal with it.
- Get outside. You won’t seen an Amish woman inside watching television. She’s either working inside or working outside, and when she does rest–it’s often on the front porch. Try it, especially first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening.
- Read your Bible. Ten minutes spent reading God’s word can definitely minimize stress.
- Get involved. The Amish often help one another–it’s something we love about their culture. How can you help someone? Write a card and mail it. Crochet a scarf and send it to Crochet for Cancer. Help a neighbor with their yard work. Helping someone else can certainly improve our attitude.
- Go to church. The Amish don’t miss church unless they’re extremely ill. There’s a reason for that–we all draw strength from the gathering together of other believers. So get up and go to church. I think you’ll be glad you did.
- Pray. When something is bothering an Amish woman, she doesn’t post about it on Facebook. She might talk to her neighbor, or someone in her family, or her bishop–but she also prays. Prayer can soothe your spirit in ways that will surprise you.
- Say No. Much of our stress comes from being committed to an overabundance of good things. We all have 24 hours a day–no more and no less. It’s okay to say no to some of the things you’re asked to do. Think about how the Amish focus on their families, then look at your schedule and see what you can cross out.
Every life has stress. A few Amish women I’ve spoken to laugh when I tell them that their life seems idealic. It’s not. Doing laundry in a gas washer is not easy. Hanging it to dry is hard work. Large families are a blessing but they’re also a lot of work. Like us, Amish women deal with stress. What’s important is how we deal with hit. I like the following Amish proverb, though I’ll admit–I’m NOT the most patient person in the world.
Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.
Do you have any tips for dealing with stress ? Share them with us in the COMMENT section.
Do Amish have stress? 6 ways you can minimize yours. http://t.co/ZLRyUhb3GO
— Vannetta Chapman (@VannettaChapman) August 29, 2014