Books, books and . . .

Amish fiction, fiction spotlight Comments: 13

MORE BOOKS!

For the month of March we are focusing on books! I am an avid reader, and I think most of you are too. Below I’m going to share 3 of the books I’ve read recently. In the COMMENTS section (button is near the title of the blog) feel free to share something you’ve read recently. I’m sure others would be interested.

513WR0EvMkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_Year of Plenty. I don’t read many nonfiction books, but I really enjoyed this one. It’s the story of a Presbyterian preacher and his family. They decide to change some of their consumer habits. Their motto becomes – buy it used, buy it local, use homemade or use home grown. It’s a fun story and it definitely caused me to pause and reconsider some of my habits.

41GuM-hAfHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_The Book Thief. This is one of the best written books I’ve read in several years. It’s the story of a young German girl during the Hitler years. Not necessarily a “Christian” book, it still does a wonderful job of showing the trials and triumphs of that time period.

511eD1kmTTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_Hidden Mercies. This was my first Serena Miller book, but it won’t be my last. She provides wonderful characters, an authentic setting, and a story that kept me interested until the end.

These are just 3 of the books I’ve enjoyed over the last few weeks. I’d love to hear what you’re reading.

13 thoughts on “Books, books and . . .

1. Angelique Darrigo Daley

In. February, I read Colleen Coble’s Rock Harbor series. It was wonderful. I read Fly Away by Kristin Hannah. She is one of my favorite non Christian writers. I also read Evening Stars by Susan Mallery. I’m about to start Divergent…before the movie comes out.
    Book Thief is “on deck”!

I recently read Fierce Pursuit by Clay Dolan. It would not have been a first choice for me but another author friend recommended him. It is a wonderful series so far!! Also Ace Collins has a series called In the Presidents Service set during World War II. Again, the same author recommended and I am eagerly awaiting Episode 4. And I finished reading Wishing on Buttercups by Miralee Ferrell. Plain Murder by Emma Miller is another of my recent reads! All great books and great authors. Waiting on Murder Simply Brewed to release.

3. Patricia T

Your “Falling to Pieces” is the most recent book I’ve read (loved it). I have “A Perfect Square” and “Material Witness”…just haven’t been able to read, yet.
    I will check out Serena Miller’s “Hidden Mercies”, too. Thanks for sharing!

4. Alice Boor

I just finished reading the book “The Choice” by Robert Whitlow. It is a book about making the right choices regarding abortion. It is a wonderful book, as is the rest of his books. He has been compared to John Grisham, but Robert Whitlow uses a Christian theme in his books.
    I also just started a book by Frank Perritti, called “Prophet”, one I had read several years ago, but wanted to see it again. He is a good author, too.

5. Patti

I’m reading Grace Leads Me Home by Marlene C Miller one of the best I have read lately. This is based on her life . I enjoy ones based on truth best but still love all Amish books, God bless all.

1. Verna Reinbold

I’m on my first book of Call the Midwife. I’ve also been watching the series on Netflix. These books are memoirs of Jennifer Worth who was a midwife in London in the 1950’s. She lived in a convent with nuns as did other nurses. They learned midwifery from the nuns and served the ladies living in the crowded tenements after the war. The author read an article that noted midwifery was neglected in literature. She took up the challenge to record her experiences.

1. Patti

That sounds like a good book too. The setting too I like. Maybe I can find it some where near me. Beautiful day today hoping I can get out on my porch and read a bit and watch the birds at my feeders. Happy Saturday all

Since we are having a series of sermons on “Heaven” I have been reading a couple of nonfiction books. Between Heaven And Earth by Steve Berger was an eye opening one for me and really put into perspective what we should be doing to prepare for Heaven. This one has changed my life to the better. I am almost finished with Held By The Hand Of God by Joe Laws. This one, I’m not completely sure about. That’s why God has given us the ability of discernment. For fun, I have recently read, Seaside Romance by Mia Ross, Holding A Tender Heart by Jerry Eicher, Josiah For President by Martha Bolton (Can’t wait for the Musical this summer at the Blue Gate Theater!) and Gabriel’s Bride by Amy Lillard. All were very enjoyable!

Thanks for sharing your reads with us Vannetta!

7. Pingback: Books, books and . . . | ChristianBookBarn.com

8. Deb Simmering

I have been wanting to read The Book Thief, a young man at Best Buy was telling me all about how he was reading it and he had trouble putting it down and he thought I would really like it. I have read Hidden Mercies and it was really a good book,, another of Serena Miller’s books that is really good is Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Right now I am reading Hopeful by Shelley Shepard Gray.

9. Dali Castillo

This week I finished Pennsylvania Patchwork, book 2 of Kate Lloyd’s Legacy of Lancaster Trilogy and Plain Peace, the final book in Beth Wiseman’s A Daughters of the Promise Novel series. Both books were great!