Birthing a Book

Amish fiction, Amish Village Series, fiction spotlight Comments: 10

MSB webAll Things Amish – The Birth of A Book

I suppose “birthing” an Amish book is the same as birthing any other book. The process is long! I receive lots of reader mail asking WHY it takes so long for a book to come out! That’s a good question.

Just last week I turned in Murder Simple Brewed – again. Yes, I’ve turned it in before! lol. Every publisher is different, but this is the process for a book with Zondervan/Harper Collins.

1. Write the book (takes me around 4 months)
        2. Send to pre-readers (1 month)
        3. Read their comments and edit entire book (2 weeks)
        4. Turn in to publisher
        5. Receive macro edits, which are like the big picture edits (1-2 weeks)
        6. Turn back in to publisher
        7. Receive line edits, which are usually grammar and smaller details that might need tweeking (1-2 weeks)
        8. Turn back in to publisher
        9. Receive Advanced Reader Copies (ARCs)
        10. Read one more time. Can only correct very minor things here. (1-2 weeks)
        11. Send ARC corrections to editor
        12. Wait for the delivery from the FedEx man!

It’s a fun process. Every time you go through that book again, you find different things that need attention. It makes you wonder how an error ever slips through so many edits, but they do! 🙂 Not very often, but they do.

I’m very excited about the release of Murder, Simply Brewed. Set in the town of Middlebury, Indiana it will be very similar to my Shipshewana series, but with different characters who have a whole new set of problems. Okay. One character from the Shipshe series is going to make a brief appearance in book 2 (which I’ve already finished as I’m editing book 1). Can you guess who it is?

Blessings.

10 thoughts on “Birthing a Book

1. Alice Compoly

Pre-ordered already, can’t wait -just started reading your books a few months ago and not disappointed in any of your books. Looking forward to more new books in the future. Thanks Vannetta!!! God Bless you!! Alice

I cannot wait to read your new series. I am going to miss Callie and Deborah though. I still need to get “A Wedding for Julia” also. Thank you for clearing up the reasons why books can take so long to come out. Of course if I didn’t read them within 2 days of receiving them well it might not seem so long LOL! Thank you and God Bless!! Melissa L.

Vannetta, great post. As a reader we have no clue what it takes to get a book published. Whew! We sit by patiently (for some not so patiently) waiting for the next book in the series to be published.

I love your books. I don’t live far from Shipshewana and Middlebury so the books really come alive for me. I’m looking forward to reading your new series beginning with Murder, Simply Brewed.

My guess is Callie might be making a brief appearance in Book 2. We shall see!

4. Nancee Marchinowski

Vannetta, I really appreciate the steps you laid out for people to understand what an author confronts with each book. I think a lot of people are under the impression that you write a book, send it for editing, or you edit the book yourself, and it’s printed. Authors go through intense “labor” before birthing that book, and I appreciate all of the steps that it takes to get your imagination onto the printed page for us to enjoy. I’m looking forward to the new series based in Middlebury, another of my favorite places in northern Indiana. You’re one of the best!

5. Vera Godley

This is very interesting, Vannetta. Thanks for laying the steps out for all of us. I highly respect authors (even if I don’t approve of all that all the authors write) for their talents and abilities as well as their steadfastness to even write the initial book. Then to follow through to get it published and having folks read and point out changes in your “baby” they think need to be made. Do you wonder why I’m a fan of yours? You do all the “author” stuff and you write the “good stuff”!

6. Maxie Lloyd-Hamilton Anderson

Hello my friend. Good to see you have another book coming soon. Sounds real different, but mysteries are good. Hope to one day have all of your books but is a slow process for me. I met Jennifer Beckstrand at the same place. Told her about my visit with you. Her husband was taaking pictures and the next day I saw me and her on facebook. Mine with you are still in my camera. Can’t ever seem to learn how to load them to my computer. God Bless. Keep up the good work. Maxie

7. Kara Grant

Wow V, LOVE this post!! Thanks for answering this reader question and for your diligence as an author. ALL of your books are good, but each one gets better and better and your characters/stories are a blessing to us. I hope the character appearance is Callie as Judy mentioned, but I know it’ll be great no matter who it is 🙂 Blessings V!

I’m so glad you all enjoyed this post! Sometimes writers forget that readers see the book on the shelf, not all the versions that came before! Thank you for your encouragement!

9. Kristi

Thank you for this post. I never realized there were so many steps to “birthing” a book. Love that you call it that : ) Also, living in Indiana it is so nice to see you set so many of your books here. Thanks! Hoping to see you in a week or so when you are here in our state!