Who the Bishop Knows will officially release on March 6, so today I thought I’d share with you what happens when a book releases. There was a time when a book release meant a flurry of signings at bookstores and possibly a book tour. Times have changed though, and in our virtually oriented world, book releases look different. Activities before, the day of, and in the weeks after include:
- Send a list of potential influencers to my publisher. These are usually people with blogs who are willing to read and review the book.
- Send marketing material to my street team members–bookmarks, business cards, and of course they will receive a copy of the book too.
- Build anticipation on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Answer interview questions. Both my publisher, Harvest House, and Family Fiction magazine have requested interviews. I’m very excited about these pieces and will share the links as they become available.
- Sharing early reviews. We’ve had wonderful reviews from Romantic Times as well as several Christian fiction bloggers.
- There’s a big on-line push the day of a book’s release.
- I try to personally answer all the posts congratulating me on the release of my book.
- Lots of giveaways are usually taking place, so I share those as well.
- I like to share the book’s origins, details and pictures about the setting, and giveaway fun things that I’ve purchased while visiting the area.
The Weeks After:
- Promotion doesn’t stop the day after your book launches. In many ways it’s just getting started.
- Appear at author talks and discuss the inspiration for the book. I love having Q&A at these events.
- Share reviews, accolades, and any follow-up giveaways
While all of this is going on, guess what else an author is doing? Writing the next book. That’s probably the most important thing to do. When readers finish a book, you know what they want. Another book.
Now it’s your turn. Tell me some fun things you’ve seen done for a “book launch.” Or maybe something you’ve thought of that no one has done yet. I’m all ears! Remember, leave a comment below, and I’ll draw one winner from each post’s comment section. If your name is drawn, I’ll send you a paperback book of my choice from my supply closet. If it’s one you already have, you can donate the unsigned copy to your local library or a friend. Last post our winner was Karen T.
Announcements for this week:
Leo watches over me as I write.
Sometimes people think that because you work at home, you’re not busy. Nothing could be farther from the truth! I’ve worked in offices, schools, and at home. It’s all fun, and it’s all hard work. But being an author is different from Continue reading
How’s everyone doing? I hope you’re enjoying these blogs (and Vlogs) from my back porch. Actually, today’s is from my office, but the point is to have an informal, laid-back conversation between us. I loved your comments and very much enjoyed reading about your fav flowers on last week’s post!
This week I wanted to give you a little tour of my office. (If you’re receiving this blog via email, you probably have to click on the title and go to my sight to see the video.)
My office was actually my son’s bedroom until I told him I needed it. He moved out to an apartment and the rest is history! It’s a small room, as you’ll see in the video, probably 10 feet by 10 feet. Kind of plain and simple, but it works for me. What about you? Do you have a special place in your house where you work or craft? For a while, mine was the dining room table! Leave a comment describing YOUR SPOT, and we’ll pull a winner for a free book. (Last week’s winner was Kimberly T.)
Announcements for this week:
- Shelley Shepard Gray and I will be meting for our Girlfriends Getaway in Charm, OH. If you’re going, I’m looking forward to meeting you! If you can’t come–we’ll be having on-line prizes for those who follow us on Facebook and twitter.
- Deep Shadows is now available for pre-order. This is the first book in my new dystopian series. Don’t know what dystopian is? Read my blog post at the Diamond Mind of Christian Fiction. You can now pre-order Deep Shadows. All vendors offer a pre-order price guarantee, so if the price goes down before the item is released, you receive the lower price. **Amazon ** B&N ** CBD.
- My May rafflectopter giveaway is live through 6-22, and it’s easy to enter daily. Check here for details. This month’s giveaway includes something I picked up in Shipshewana, a $10 Starbucks card and more!
Time to turn off the computer and head to the back porch. Bob’s waiting for me with both dogs. I hope you enjoyed today’s video, and I’d love to hear about YOUR fav spot. Leave a comment on the blog, and I’ll draw a winner to receive a complimentary copy of the book of your choice from my book list.
I’m writing today’s blog from the back porch. In Texas, the back porch is where important things happen–it’s where we sip sweet tea, watch the dear, talk to family, and meet with friends. It’s where we go when we need quiet time, devotional time, prayer time. My husband pointed out that we don’t technically have a back porch. We have a back deck, but it’s the same thing in my opinion. My video starts in the back yard and ends up at the deck, where I do my sitting, resting, praying, even working.
Announcements for this week:
- An Amish Cradle is $1.99 (ebook only) May 2nd-May 8th. ** Amazon ** B&N ** CBD
- Shelley Shepard Gray and I are finalizing plans for our Girlfriends Getaway in Charm, OH. If you’re interested in attending, but haven’t made your reservation, email Laurie at Laurie4ssg@gmail.com.
- Deep Shadows is now available for pre-order. This is the first book in my new dystopian series. Don’t know what dystopian is? Read the blurb for Deep Shadows here. For Amazon, the pre-order price is guaranteed, so if the price goes down before the item is released, you receive the lower price. **Amazon ** B&N ** CBD.
- My May rafflectopter giveaway is now live. Check here for details. This week’s giveaway includes something I picked up in Shipshewana, a $10 Starbucks card and more!
Time to close down the computer and just enjoy sitting on the back porch. I hope you enjoyed today’s video, and I’d love to hear about YOUR back porch, or wherever you go to relax. Leave a comment on the blog, and I’ll draw a winner to receive a complimentary copy of the book of your choice from my book list.