Who the Bishop Knows will officially release on March 6, so today I thought I’d share with you what happens when a book releases. There was a time when a book release meant a flurry of signings at bookstores and possibly a book tour. Times have changed though, and in our virtually oriented world, book releases look different. Activities before, the day of, and in the weeks after include:
- Send a list of potential influencers to my publisher. These are usually people with blogs who are willing to read and review the book.
- Send marketing material to my street team members–bookmarks, business cards, and of course they will receive a copy of the book too.
- Build anticipation on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Answer interview questions. Both my publisher, Harvest House, and Family Fiction magazine have requested interviews. I’m very excited about these pieces and will share the links as they become available.
- Sharing early reviews. We’ve had wonderful reviews from Romantic Times as well as several Christian fiction bloggers.
- There’s a big on-line push the day of a book’s release.
- I try to personally answer all the posts congratulating me on the release of my book.
- Lots of giveaways are usually taking place, so I share those as well.
- I like to share the book’s origins, details and pictures about the setting, and giveaway fun things that I’ve purchased while visiting the area.
The Weeks After:
- Promotion doesn’t stop the day after your book launches. In many ways it’s just getting started.
- Appear at author talks and discuss the inspiration for the book. I love having Q&A at these events.
- Share reviews, accolades, and any follow-up giveaways
While all of this is going on, guess what else an author is doing? Writing the next book. That’s probably the most important thing to do. When readers finish a book, you know what they want. Another book.
Now it’s your turn. Tell me some fun things you’ve seen done for a “book launch.” Or maybe something you’ve thought of that no one has done yet. I’m all ears! Remember, leave a comment below, and I’ll draw one winner from each post’s comment section. If your name is drawn, I’ll send you a paperback book of my choice from my supply closet. If it’s one you already have, you can donate the unsigned copy to your local library or a friend. Last post our winner was Karen T.
- Giveaway. My new Rafflecopter giveaway is live, and includes all 3 books from my Bishop Mystery series as well as a set of Amish-made hot pads. Check my webpage for details.
- On Sale for a limited time: Books 1 and 2 of my Amish Bishop series are on sale for $3.99 through the last day of February.
- My publisher is hosting a giveaway on the AmishReader Facebook page.
- A Goodreads giveaway for Who the Bishop Knows runs through 2-28.