Earlier this month my husband and I had the pleasure of visiting Monte Vista, Colorado–the setting for my Amish Bishop Mystery Series. Yes, there are Amish there! Here are a few things I learned while in the area:
- The Amish actually live 8 miles south of town, so you rarely see buggies and horses in town. One young Amish woman told me that they only take a buggy to town once or twice a year. The rest of the time they hire a driver.
- Once you do find an Amish store, most of them have a printed brochure that lists the other Amish stores in the area. This was very handy! Driver beware: most of the roads were not paved.
- All of the Amish homes we saw, in fact nearly every home we saw in the valley–Amish or not–had solar power.
- One Amish gentleman told us that there are approximately 40 families in the Monte Vista area. There is also a small community across the mountains in Westcliff.
- Amish do visit the wildlife areas in the valley. We saw a family of 4 at the Sand Dunes National park.
We very much enjoyed our time in the San Luis Valley. Though it was mid-May, the temperatures dropped to 25 in the evening and there was a snowfall in the mountains of six inches. I’ll be sharing souvenirs, photos, and videos from the area as books 2 and 3 of this series release.
I’m still giving away a $10 Amazon certificate with each blog. Last week’s winner was Dianne. You can be entered this week by leaving a comment below. Tell me if you’ve ever met/talked to an Amish person!
Announcements for this week:
- What the Bishop Saw is now available in stores and with all e-retailers.
- My new rafflecopter giveaway includes a set of potholders made by one of the Amish women in the Monte Vista community. Details of the giveaway are on my main page.
- My Shipshewana Amish mystery series is on sale for $2.99 for all 3 e-books.
- Want to win a copy of WTBS? My publisher is giving away 10 copies on Goodreads.
- My inspirational romantic suspense novels are still 99 cents in the kindle and nook stores.
- Raging Storm is also on sale for 99 cents in ebook format. Light of Dawn will release on 6-27 in ebook and 7-1 in print.