5 Ways to UnPlug

Amish fiction, Christian living Comments: 14

So I tried an experiment last week. I unplugged. Completely. I didn’t check my email, or log into Facebook. I didn’t tweet, and I didn’t post pictures to Instagram. Wow!!! This was a big step for me. (I did pre-post some things to Facebook and Twitter, so you know…no one would forget me.)

Have you ever done this? It was eye-opening for me. I had reached the point where I was “checking things” constantly. Even late at night, or first thing in the morning. I learned some awesome things:

• The world doesn’t end when I don’t read the news
  • My head got quieter, like, there was peace and quiet in there
  • I had to talk to people when I was in line at the store
  • At first I kept reaching for my phone, and then I’d realize that I didn’t need to touch it if it didn’t ring!
  • I spent more time with friends, family, and my pets, and I was more “present” while I was with them.

Now I’m not saying that any of these things are bad, but for me the habit was out of control. So how can you unplug? It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing deal. You could just reduce if you feel it’s overwhelming you. But where do you start?

1. Make the decision to only check your e-mail once a day. If anyone needs me urgently, they’ll call.
  2. Go on to Facebook once a day and scan quickly. You don’t have to read/like/comment on every post. Just tag in and out.
  3. If you TWEET or INSTAGRAM, you don’t have to do that every day either. Every meal doesn’t have to be shared. You don’t have to take a selfie at every event. It’s actually kind of nice to keep some things private.
  4. It’ll only feel strange for the first few days.
  5. Spend the time you would be on-line doing something else–pet your dog, work on the craft project you abandoned, finish a book in your TBR pile. Do the things you like to do.

So how about you? Have you ever tried to unplug? Why or why not? And what was the result? There’s a comment button next to the title of this blog. If you’re receiving it in email, just click on the link and then look next to the title. I’d love to hear from you!

Amish Harvest pre-order promo_FINALAnnouncements for this week:

• Brian’s Choice is on sale for 99 cents. This is a lovely 76 page novella that introduces my Plain & Simple Miracles series.
  • Anna’s Healing, the first full length book in the series and a Christy Award finalist, is on sale for $2.99.
  • An Amish Harvest will release in 6 days, and my publisher is offering a TREAT BOX to the first 100 readers who pre-order.
  • Deep Shadows is now available in print and ebook. **Amazon ** B&N ** CBD. And the price has stayed below $9 for most vendors, so get your copy today!

Also, my Rafflecopter giveaway is live, and I think you’re going to love this month’s Prize Package. Details on my main webpage, so stop by and check us out!

Vannetta

14 thoughts on “5 Ways to UnPlug

1. Robin in NC

Yes! Last month we stayed at a place that didn’t have WIFI except at the campground store. I was nervous, but stayed unplugged the whole time. It was wonderful!!!

2. Kristin Joy

I only check my email once a day anyway. Facebook I am guilty of being on multiple time a day…mostly because I get a little bored at the hours I sit at my kid’s therapy sessions. I DO take a book with me but if there are a lot of people in the waiting room? Well, I can’t concentrate then.

I guess you could say I should connect with other parents but I only am not reading when there are children being very rambunctious in there and I can’t concentrate.

I don’t pull my phone out when I”m doing my grocery shopping. I just can’t do my shopping I need with my phone out. Not because of facebook but because I’m a chronic “I’ve lost it” type of person and if my phone is in my hand? I bet you anything we’ll be combing the store to figure out where I laid it down.

.I don’t really feel the need to unplug. I don’t feel that desire to HAVE to check in. I HAVE been there though and taking a break by getting rid of my smartphone for over four years really taught me that I didn’t have to be “in” it all the time.

3. Nancee Marchinowski

Bless you heart, Vannetta! I’ve been doing the unplug trials for a while now, and I can’t believe how much of a relief it is to not be sitting in front of my laptop several times a day, or checking emails and Facebook too often. I got on my soapbox on Facebook today, and I may have offended a few people in the process, but I said what I had to say, and I feel better having said it. Social media has taken control of most people’s lives, and it’s not a good thing. Two of my daughters have also pulled way back on their use of social media also, and it certainly is nice to have a conversation with humans rather than through Facebook or texting.

Congratulations on your changes in lifestyle!

4. Judith A Fritz

I’ve been cutting way back on my internet etc myself the past few weeks. First day or two I caught myself getting ready to check my FB page, news etc. Now, I’m glad to have more time for just “me” to do with what I want instead of the computer/FB claiming so much of my time. Judy F

5. Mary Herrnstein

I have found myself unplugging way more often with the heat…and I have survived…have missed some contests :( but have got tons of stuff done I wouldn’t have otherwise…and my TBR list is about 30 books shorter!

6. Tiffany

I usually try to unplug once a year when we go on vacation and just enjoy my family and our time together! It is so nice!

I have pulled back on the amount of time I am spending on social media too. I was feeling like I couldn’t walk away from it at all. I check my e ails once a day and spend a little time on facebook in the mornings while hubby is still sleeping. I might or might not get back on facebook after that. If I do it is for a short time. But at least I’m not on it the whole time I am awake. I felt like I was doing that before I decided that I didn’t need to be on here so much.

8. Fiona

I don’t really unplug, but I limit my internet browsing to half an hour a day, and only check personal emails and Twitter once, and phone about once a day. I wouldn’t unplug completely because I don’t watch a lot of TV, so my internet time is my relaxation time at the end of the day.

9. Donita CORMAN

I haven’t totally unplugged but have spent a lot less time on my phone and kindle. We are vacation so spent two hours away from phone each day..it was nice to not think about the stuff . On another note if I hadn’t read FB a couple weeks ago I would not have gotten to spend the time I did with my friend whose husband took a turn for the worst and passed last week. I got to see him the last day he was alive and spending time with his dear little wife. It was because of FB I found out about him..So a healthy balance is good. Too much time on FB gets me depressed so I cut back on it anyway!

10. Dali Castillo

I really enjoyed this blog & I actually have done this. Since January, I’ve cut down my FB time drastically and tweet a lot less than I used to. It’s been a good thing for me. However, no worries, because I still make sure I tweet & share about my favorite authors. = )