SIMPLE Ways to Improve Your Health

Amish facts/history, Healthy living Comments: 18

phoebe and rocky4 Simple Ways to Improve Your Health, Part 1

I thought for the month of August that I would share some things I have observed while visiting the Amish–things that I think would improve our health. I’m not a nutritionist, but I am a mom and a wife and I like to think that I’m a fairly healthy person.

• Get Moving

One thing I notice when I’m at an Amish home is that the women are very busy. It sort of wears me out to watch them. It’s not that they’re rushing around taking kids to soccer, etc. But they do live a very active lifestyle. I’ve yet to see an Amish woman sitting in front of the television–I know, I know. They don’t HAVE a television. But you get my point.

I’m not suggesting that there’s anything wrong with resting. We all need to do that at times. However, plenty of studies have shown that when we get up and move around, it’s better for our heart, our lungs, our muscles, and even our mood. Here’s a few suggestions:

1. If you’re on the computer a lot, set your phone or watch to go off every 50 minutes. Then get up and move around for 10. Put a load of laundry in, dust one room, walk around outside–get moving!
      2. If you’re not feeling well, it can be difficult to force yourself to move around. But when I feel badly, sometimes lying on the couch makes me feel worse! Check with your doctor if necessary, and then make a promise to yourself that you’ll get up and walk around the house or apartment several times a day. It might actually make you feel better!
      3. I’m a big walker, mainly because I’m clumsy and there’s no other athletic activity I can do. Every morning my dog wakes me up at 6:30, and every morning the first thing we do is take a mile walk. Now you might not be able to start with a mile, but start with a block. It feels wonderful to be outside at the beginning of the day.

I realize these are fairly simple ideas, but I have noticed that the Amish don’t deal with the same health issues that we do. I think ONE of the reasons is that they get up & get moving.

Do you have any ideas for ways to be more active? I’d love to hear them in the COMMENT section.

18 thoughts on “SIMPLE Ways to Improve Your Health

I like to get up early and move also but our weather is sometimes way too hot to move. I love fall and spring! Moving is very good.

Yes, it’s terribly hot here as well, Melissa. I have found that walking at 6:30 in the morning (groan) is much more pleasant. :)

2. Debra Bearden

I used to walk all the time. Haven’t for a long time. Think I will try to get up early and start walking again. Thanks Vannetta.

Hi Debra. It’s easy to let that habit drop. I know you will do great picking it up again. :)

I’ve heard that even getting up during commercials and walk in place or dance around is a huge benefit vs sitting on the sofa or chair for any length of time.

I need to get back into my morning walks. Lately, I’ve had a lot of problems with my fibro and it hurts to exercise. I need to get moving slowly.

I try this during baseball games, Judy. They last SO LONG … and it helps to get moving between innings. :)

Used to love going for daily walks, but after having four back surgeries I can’t do it any longer. Did water exercises for several years and now that even bothers me any more too. I miss not being able to do those things now.

5. Vera Godley

Very good article, Vannetta, and another reminder of what my primary doctor and cardiologist tell me every time I visit. Moving will also help lower your triglycerides. Mine need to go south. 😉

Good reminder, Linda – I need to pull out my step tracker and put it back on my person! :)

6. Patricia

You’re right about walking…I felt so much better, when I walked. (Need to get started, again.) Phoebe and Rocky will keep you moving! :)

7. kim

I’m a walker walk at least 5 to 6 times a week for a mile or more. It does help you to feel better. Glad to hear you walk too.

That’s wonderful, Kim. You’re an inspiration to the rest of us who are still getting in the habit! :)

8. Shirley Chapel

Currently and in the past when my neighbors go out of town I watch their little dog and instead of just putting her outside in her fenced in area I walk her early in the morning and in the evening. She enjoys that a lot more then just being outside and I get my exercise that I really need.

What a wonderful way to be kind to a neighbor and help your own health! Thanks for the comment, Shirley!