Holiday Cheer

Amish fiction, Amish Holidays, Amish view Comments: 13

cstar55All Things Amish, Holiday Cheer

How is everyone this week? How was your Christmas? And are you resting or exhausted?

This is a short blog today, as I’m taking a few days to rest and enjoy my family. But I did want to remind you that the Amish way is simpler, quieter, slower. It’s okay to choose the simple dinner for dinner. Need some peace and quiet? Turn off the television–even go for a short walk if your weather allows. And as far as slower–well I’m giving myself full permission to stop rushing this week, and who knows … maybe even into the new year.

I’d love to hear how your Christmas holiday was. Leave me a comment if you have a few moments.

blessings upon blessings to you and yours,

13 thoughts on “Holiday Cheer

We had a very nice Christmas. Just my Husband and me. Fixed a turkey breast, mashed potatoes & gravy, cranberry salad, brussel sprouts watergate salad & pumpkin pie for dessert, Then watched several bible movies the rest of the afternoon and evening. It was a very quiet and peaceful day.

Our Christmas was a good one. We didn’t have any family again this year to help us celebrate but hubby and I did just fine. We ate at a Chinese/American restaurant and then we saw the movie, Saving Mr. Banks. Excellent movie!

Slowing down in the year 2014 is exactly what I plan on doing. Spending less time on FB and more time with the Lord, household needs, more hubby attention, and lots of reading.

Praying Vannetta that you and yours will have a great New Year!

3. alisa kibg

We had a very nice Christmas. My husband and I went to his sisters house where she is raising her grandchildren so it was exciting to see children opening there christmas. We left in afternoon to come to our baby Abby who is our boxer which we love very much. Yes to have peace and quiet. Simple dinner.

We had a quiet Christmas. Since we are not near family, we are able to take a slower pace around the holidays. It has been very nice. We had a simple dinner of Italian so it was a really slow day for us. Glad you had a great Christmas!

Hi Melissa. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your holiday. Sometimes it can be difficult to be away from family, but it sounds as if you’ve learned to enjoy the holiday with your hubby. blessings!

5. Sharon Orshaw

We spent our Christmas with our 7 grandchildren and it was, as always, a hoot! They range in age from 3 months to 14 years. We first went to Christmas Eve service with them – to see each one go forward to take Communion and to kneel at the altar beside my husband….I am one blessed lady. Then off to bed after opening their Christmas pj’s. Granddad was the first one up – we thought the kids would never wake up! LOL! What a blessing to share in seeing them open their gifts! We had a big dinner of ham, mashed and sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce – the works. After that and the dishes we all needed a nap so that we could start all over again in the evening when my son and his family joined us. Again, I am one blessed lady and I know it! 🙂

6. Patti

My Christmas was quiet and very nice. Good part of the day was across the
    street with my middle dau hubby and my Little Man who lol is no longer little
    by any stretch he is a good 2 heads taller than his Granny. Good company
    nice gifts and good food. Happy New Year Vannetta and all reading this. God bless you all, Patti in VA

7. Donna Harmon

Due to my work schedule we had Christmas with our families the two previous weekends so Christmas Day was a small dinner with my hubby and aunt. We did not stress out this year over time or gifts. We made sure we had quality time and we gave simple gifts. Aready have a few gifts ready for next year as I am determined to finish handmade quilted gifts for all my close family & friends on my Christmas gifts. I to plan to slow down and focus on my family.

8. Jean Junkin

We had a wonderful quiet Christmas with our children, grandchildren, and our newest Great Grandson. We enjoyed a potluck dinner with our son and his family on Christmas Eve and a wonderful Christmas dinner. This were quiet as we reflected on the previous year. The day after Christmas, our daughter Vicki, had her 5th surgery on her broken leg. She is doing well, and it will take about 12 weeks for full healing. We thank the Lord that she came through the surgery fine. Not having little ones at home, Christmas morning was spent with Howard and I together opening our gifts to each other. Was beautiful sitting beside our tree.

9. Carole B.

Hi Vanetta: Our family got together (cousins, uncles and aunts) on Christmas Eve and shared in a 12 course meatless dinner. We broke host-while the food was warming in the oven–said Grace around the dinner table. The grownups made the dishes–barley, pierogies (potatoes and cheese) sautĂ©ed onions, baked fish, poppyseed cake, green bean w. mushroom casserole.and a shrimp salad, (just to name a few of the dishes).
    Love and may your new year be filled with love and happiness. Carole